PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

big shop every two weeks for £50, then just buy essentials the week in-between?

Options
williewonder
williewonder Posts: 362 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 12 December 2023 at 10:33AM in Old style MoneySaving
I'm trying to cut my food costs down to £30 a week (Just for food) I know I can easily live off £30 a week, I'm thinking about doing a big £50 shop from Morrisons every 2 weeks for delivery, buying 4 breaded cod, 4 small meat pies, 4 chicken Kievs, whole chicken, Fajita ready meal box,500g mince, hotdogs, 8 in a jar (2 meals) Frozen stuff. Then getting everything else like my essentials and fresh bread. cheese. and fresh veg,

In-between buy fresh veg, milk and bread, other small items, so maybe £10 for the in-between weeks.

Is this sensible? I want to each healthy but maintain my food bill at £120 a month. I only cook for me. Is this doable?

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Read soem posts by London_1 [ was Jackie O], she can show you a few things thrift wise and managing on a budget less than that :)
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Unless you have a particular reason to use Morrisons have a look at Asda for your delivery shopping, delivery costs less and if you choose midweek annual it's £35, but each to their own
    I do similar to your idea using Asda, but I'm not limiting spends and find it works OK providing a stock is on hand for those times an expected item is not available & sub not suitable
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could cut that expense down by cutting down on ready meals.

Make your own meat pies, buy an extra chicken & make loads of different dishes-see your other thread for the replies. Hot dog sausages are really not that healthy so perhaps buy some ordinary sausages. Perhaps buy frozen fish fillets & try ideas with them (Jamie used them in one of his 5 ingredient recipes)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • williewonder
    Options
    Yesterdays evening meal I had a small ham hock pie I purchased from Aldi some months back (you get two in a box) Roast parsnips with honey glazing and boiled carrots and Brussels, with two small Yorkshire pudding and meat gravy, Only cost around £2.00 for the meal. I found it very filling and satisfying, I would stay much more satisfying than a £13 takeaway pizza. For breakfast I'm having Shreddies and cold milk then I'll be going on my 4 mile walk this morning.
  • williewonder
    Options
    I'm cooking chicken fajitas for my Sunday and Monday meals. I have a chicken fajita box with everything in. What is the best way to cook this? Do I roast the chicken then de-meat it and put meat in a wok with fajita powder and cook.?  Or do I fry the peppers and onions first and add the cooked chicken then add the powder. If I make a large amount could I save rest of chicken and peppers fajita mixfor next day in the fridge and microwave to warm it?
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm trying to cut my food costs down to £30 a week (Just for food) I know I can easily live off £30 a week, I'm thinking about doing a big £50 shop from Morrisons every 2 weeks for delivery, buying 4 breaded cod, 4 small meat pies, 4 chicken Kievs, whole chicken, Fajita ready meal box,500g mince, hotdogs, 8 in a jar (2 meals) Frozen stuff. Then getting everything else like my essentials and fresh bread. cheese. and fresh veg,

In-between buy fresh veg, milk and bread, other small items, so maybe £10 for the in-between weeks.

Is this sensible? I want to each healthy but maintain my food bill at £120 a month. I only cook for me. Is this doable?
    With your hot dogs, you say 4 per meal.

Perhaps try 2 per meal (hot dogs as they are one night) and hot dog risotto another (tomatoes, onion garlic stock hot dogs mushrooms and risotto rice) leaves you with 2 for a 3rd meal.

500g mince should do you 3 meals We buy 750g and it serves 3 meals for 3 of us. (If I buy 2 packs on a big shop I get 7 meals out of 2 packs for 3 of us).

You can do spag bol with a base of blitzed carrot, celery and onion it hugely and cheaply bulks it out and makes the meat go much further. Then you can freeze half (as you won't need 250g mince plus the rest and pasta on a plate). Use the other half for a cottage pie and again bulk it out with onions carrots and peas, plenty of potato and then freeze half or save it in the fridge.

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
       I would stay much more satisfying than a £13 takeaway pizza. 
    Well, of course it is!

A  pizza is really  a snack type of meal and for a takeway you are not only paying for the ingredients but tax, convenience, their building, equipment, etc.  You have filled up with lots of veggies: really there is no comparison.

If you really want a pizza you could buy some basic pizza bases and then fill them up. Or buy a frozen one and then serve that with salad, veggies etc.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback