Sick at work

124»

Comments

• basically the bosses know he rents private and will always struggle for money . so they let the amount of times he has been off sick as a  second thought .my point about not getting an interview was a general comment, as  in the job description it states must  you must be physically fit to cope with the demands of the job. and if he was applying today, he doesn't meet the standards of being able to  the job, due to his ailments 
    Unless you own or run the firm, your colleagues health is not your business.  They sound like a compassionate employer who appreciate experience. 
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 December 2023 at 2:02PM
    NCC1701-A said:
    basically the bosses know he rents private and will always struggle for money . so they let the amount of times he has been off sick as a  second thought .my point about not getting an interview was a general comment, as  in the job description it states must  you must be physically fit to cope with the demands of the job. and if he was applying today, he doesn't meet the standards of being able to  the job, due to his ailments 
    Unless you own or run the firm, your colleagues health is not your business.  They sound like a compassionate employer who appreciate experience. 
    eh no. it's not a nice feeling you get when you know it's icy and you know fine well you are going to  be forced to do the job of 2 men cos your workmate won't come into work cos the pavements are icy. he lives 500 yards from work. he could easily get a taxi. 
    or this guy starts coughing at the start of the day, you know fine well he is going to take a fortnight off by the end off the day 

in fact all my workmates complained it took my employer 2 months to decide to use agency staff the last time he was ill for 3 months and forced us to run about like chickens covering his work

when my wife was off sick for over a  week.  she had chest infection and was poorly,they got moody with her . she works for same employer 
     we have both been there 3 years approx. thing is only 3 years ago did the employer actually take over the jobs as the staff were employed independently under a contractor.
    they aren't a nice employer.
    you get hand scribbled notice at the clocking in desk. such and such is off ill, can you please  do his work as well as yours , thanks 
     I am so tempted to write no, I cant
     not one explanation of how that is physically possible to fit my tasks which all have a  prescribed allocated time and then add his in which have the same allocated time. 

pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    NCC1701-A said:
    basically the bosses know he rents private and will always struggle for money . so they let the amount of times he has been off sick as a  second thought .my point about not getting an interview was a general comment, as  in the job description it states must  you must be physically fit to cope with the demands of the job. and if he was applying today, he doesn't meet the standards of being able to  the job, due to his ailments 
    eh no. it's not a nice feeling you get when you know it's icy and you know fine well you are going to  be forced to do the job of 2 men cos your workmate won't come into work cos the pavements are icy. he lives 500 yards from work. he could easily get a taxi. 
    or this guy starts coughing at the start of the day, you know fine well he is going to take a fortnight off by the end off the day 

in fact all my workmates complained it took my employer 2 months to decide to use agency staff the last time he was ill for 3 months and forced us to run about like chickens covering his work

when my wife was off sick for over a  week.  she had chest infection and was poorly,they got moody with her . she works for same employer 
     we have both been there 3 years approx. thing is only 3 years ago did the employer actually take over the jobs as the staff were employed independently under a contractor.
    you get hand scribbled notice at the clocking in desk. such and such is off ill, can you please  do his work as well as yours , thanks 
     not one explanation of how that is physically possible to fit my tasks which all have a  prescribed allocated time and then add his in which have the same allocated time. 

Already covered by TELLIT01 on one of your previous threads. 

"Nobody can 'force you to work like a madman'.  Staff need to develop a backbone and simply continue doing their normal job.  Inform management at the end of each day of the work which has not been completed and leave it to them to find a solution.  If staff always absorb the additional workload then management will obviously believe there is the capacity to do so, and they will apparently be correct. "
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • NCC1701-A said:

Sounds like you could do with a union there, multiple solutions are in your hands.
  • basically the bosses know he rents private and will always struggle for money . so they let the amount of times he has been off sick as a  second thought .my point about not getting an interview was a general seems comment, as  in the job description it states must  you must be physically fit to cope with the demands of the job. and if he was applying today, he doesn't meet the standards of being able to  the job, due to his ailments 
    I hope you don't get ill and work slower. Hardly fair to reward someone who has worked somewhere for 10 years with the sack because they got ill. Be grateful you have your health.
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 December 2023 at 12:07AM
    basically the bosses know he rents private and will always struggle for money . so they let the amount of times he has been off sick as a  second thought .my point about not getting an interview was a general seems comment, as  in the job description it states must  you must be physically fit to cope with the demands of the job. and if he was applying today, he doesn't meet the standards of being able to  the job, due to his ailments 
    I hope you don't get ill and work slower. Hardly fair to reward someone who has worked somewhere for 10 years with the sack because they got ill. Be grateful you have your health.
    if I got ill I would go off on the sick. I would not  constantly be slow when  I return or before I got ill and see it as acceptable that I wasn't able to do the job effectively anymore.and expect the same wages as my workmates that actually did the job properly.
     I would accept ssp when sick, then if I became unsatisfactory  in performance or attendance in my employment. I would expect to be paid off.

it's a business they run. not a charity..

ps, I have type 2 diabetes, sciatic nerve damage that I take gabapentin  painkillers for life and I have mild asthma with a preventer and reliever inhalers.
     but everyday I work hard, do a great job and haven't had a day on the sick in over 20 years.

PPS, I'm 55.

I also work faster and harder than two employees at work who are 19 and 21.and have no ailments.
     and you now know why I get well peeved off when I have to cover work for a guy that won't come to work cos the pavements are icy .
     the Cherry on the cake was when he was last ill and employer did eventually hire an agency worker, she was too fat to even climb the flight of stairs in the work, we only have 3 floors. she lasted 2 days..

the agency got a right telling off  eventually they got an employees daughter to come in as a temp to cover this guy.
    have a nice day
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    my work mate is 67 and has so many ailments.he was off work for 3 months with pneumonia. then doesn't come in when the pavement is icy incase he falls. he has been there for 10 years. I complained to boss I was fed up covering for him by having to do his job and mines. the answer I got was he is old and not very well . he has COPD and 3 years ago. he had a heart attack at work and kept on working. during shift. he did not know it was a heart attack he had had. just large pain in chest. unbelievable., but true.
     he works so slowly, his work standards are poor. but work refuse to get rid of him.
     he told me he rents private and his OAP pension won't cover it, so he works part time at work. 

I said to my boss, in the job application it states do you have any ailments and if he was applying today he wouldn't even get an interview.
    but bosses don't care what ailments you get once you've been in a long time, if your face fits, I guess
    i strongly suggest you  read the Equality Act 2010
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    basically the bosses know he rents private and will always struggle for money . so they let the amount of times he has been off sick as a  second thought .my point about not getting an interview was a general seems comment, as  in the job description it states must  you must be physically fit to cope with the demands of the job. and if he was applying today, he doesn't meet the standards of being able to  the job, due to his ailments 
    if I got ill I would go off on the sick. I would not  constantly be slow when  I return or before I got ill and see it as acceptable that I wasn't able to do the job effectively anymore.and expect the same wages as my workmates that actually did the job properly.
     I would accept ssp when sick, then if I became unsatisfactory  in performance or attendance in my employment. I would expect to be paid off.

it's a business they run. not a charity..

ps, I have type 2 diabetes, sciatic nerve damage that I take gabapentin  painkillers for life and I have mild asthma with a preventer and reliever inhalers.
     but everyday I work hard, do a great job and haven't had a day on the sick in over 20 years.

PPS, I'm 55.

I also work faster and harder than two employees at work who are 19 and 21.and have no ailments.
     and you now know why I get well peeved off when I have to cover work for a guy that won't come to work cos the pavements are icy .
     the Cherry on the cake was when he was last ill and employer did eventually hire an agency worker, she was too fat to even climb the flight of stairs in the work, we only have 3 floors. she lasted 2 days..

the agency got a right telling off  eventually they got an employees daughter to come in as a temp to cover this guy.
    have a nice day
    you need to Read the  Equality Act 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport