Netflix Account Hacked

Options
Does anyone know how I can escalate a complaint within Netflix UK?
My Netflix account was hacked last week. Someone changed my plan from basic to premium and added 2 users. As soon as I realized I removed the extra accounts and contacted customer services. They agreed to refund the fees I had been charged for the days my account was on the premium plan. However, they will not allow me to return to my basic plan again. This plan is not available to new members or members downgrading. However, I would have been able to stay on my plan indefinitely if my account had not been hacked. This seems very unfair to me. As someone was able to hack my account and get through Netflix security. I am being asked to pay an additional £48 a year to continue with their service. 
When I asked the customer service representative if I could submit a complaint or speak to an escalation department. I was told no, they don’t have one. There was no email address she could give me to write too. So frustrating I have no idea where to take my complaint further. 
Advice appreciated. 

Comments

• JSmithy45AD
    Options
    Not a chance they hacked Netflix. Possibly they hacked your devices but more likely it was someone you know who had your log in details. That's down to yourself I'm afraid. If you don't want to pay it then cancel it.
  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Were the two new users known to you?
    Have you ever given your Netflix password to anyone?
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The most common way this happens is that the same email and password were used for multiple sites, one of those was hacked and that was used to try common services like Netflix and let them in. Not saying it was the case here, but is the most common way it happens. If it was though other sites using the same password need changing immediately.

You should always use a unique password for every site and ideally a unique email for each one as well.

As for complaining, you could try resolutions@netflix.com or according to ceo email website reed.hastings@netflix.com
  • JSmithy45AD
    Options
    400ixl said:
    The most common way this happens is that the same email and password were used for multiple sites, one of those was hacked and that was used to try common services like Netflix and let them in. Not saying it was the case here, but is the most common way it happens. If it was though other sites using the same password need changing immediately.

You should always use a unique password for every site and ideally a unique email for each one as well.

As for complaining, you could try resolutions@netflix.com or according to ceo email website reed.hastings@netflix.com
    That is a distinct possibility. Try https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to check.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    400ixl said:

Unique password for every site? Absolutely. Unique email for each? I'd say that was just about possible to set up using aliases on, say, a Gmail account but really hard to administer. I'd be interested to hear how you manage this.

It's far better when sites use a User Id (hopefully unique) rather than an email address as the login identifier, would you still use a unique email address when registering with these sites?
  • JSmithy45AD
    Options
    400ixl said:

Unique password for every site? Absolutely. Unique email for each? I'd say that was just about possible to set up using aliases on, say, a Gmail account but really hard to administer. I'd be interested to hear how you manage this.

It's far better when sites use a User Id (hopefully unique) rather than an email address as the login identifier, would you still use a unique email address when registering with these sites?
    I use a unique password, a unique email address and a unique computer for every website just in case of ransomware. At least I don't need to pay for heating.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback