Didn’t know this about best offers

Someone made me a ‘best offer’ for one of my items.   Whilst I was considering it, the same person then bid my starting price (which was lower than the offer) and that automatically cancelled their offer.   Must admit i didn’t think you could effectively withdraw your offer by bidding lower, though the offer was binding.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,850
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    RedImp_2 said:
    Someone made me a ‘best offer’ for one of my items.   Whilst I was considering it, the same person then bid my starting price (which was lower than the offer) and that automatically cancelled their offer.   Must admit i didn’t think you could effectively withdraw your offer by bidding lower, though the offer was binding.
    All offers are voided once an auction item has a bid unless there is an unmet reserve in place. It wouldn’t matter who had placed the bid so yes the buyers offer was voided as soon as they placed a potential winning bid. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,002
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    RedImp_2 said:
    It's just common sense... if you have a bid on the auction, then no one can offer any more, as the bid is binding. 

Likewise, if you accept the offer, the auction ends as no one can bid if you've agreed a price.

I've had offers declined before so I bid the opening price (lower) and actually won at less than my offer!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • RedImp_2
    RedImp_2 Posts: 232
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pinkshoes said:you
    RedImp_2 said:
    It's just common sense... if you have a bid on the auction, then no one can offer any more, as the bid is binding. 

Likewise, if you accept the offer, the auction ends as no one can bid if you've agreed a price.

I've had offers declined before so I bid the opening price (lower) and actually won at less than my offer!
    I was okay that that happened but I was just surprised when the same person did it therefore cancelling their own offer.
  • RedImp_2
    RedImp_2 Posts: 232
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As an aside the same person made another offer and a different person bid so cancelling the offer.  This time starting price was higher so I thought all good.
    They won the item but then I noticed that they hadn’t paid.  They messaged me to say sorry they didn’t want the items (they won another as well) saying they had forgotten they had bid. 
    Not sure how you forget but anyway tres annoying.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback