Electrics (1930's house)

Options
howzat92
howzat92 Posts: 35 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
edited 10 December 2023 at 8:53PM in Is this quote fair?
I had an electrician do a survey on my house and he identified the following 

Just would like to know what it means really in simple language and how urgent each is that it is done? 

Faults from testing/remedial work required to pass test and inspection:

Low insulation resistance kitchen ring - this needs fault finding and rectifying - £240 plus vat

Very low insulation resistance and incorrectly wired ring circuit downstairs sockets. I propose rewiring this circuit to give you 3 sockets per room (gf bedroom and front living room) and a socket by the consumer unit outside the kitchen. - £600 plus vat. NB some making good will be required after this work and the laminate flooring in these 2 rooms would need to be taken up in parts, you have said you are getting rid of this flooring which is good because I wouldn't be relaying the laminate floor afterwards.

High earth end to end upstairs ring - i propose putting this circuit onto a smaller protective device which would entail getting the fuseboards changed, this also solves the next issue of no RCD protection in the property as this would be included in the new consumer unit. New consumer unit with RCBO protection would be £950 plus vat

No rcd at all - new CU needed, see above.

Basic ins. visible bathroom downlights - I can fix this for free if I'm there doing other bits.

Works requested by you:

Replace fan with timer model. Loft access, I would need to run a new cable down to the fan so this would either be a case of disturbing tiles which I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to put back, or running it in surface trunking for the short run from ceiling to fan. £130 plus vat

Remove redundant bt and virgin cables - £60 plus vat

Replace switches and surface boxes with 17mm white boxes and new white plastic switches. 10x1g,1x2g (one 1g is dimmer) -£255 plus vat

---

Thanks in advance for any advice on the above! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback