PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

First the expensive butter....

Options
I noticed a month or two back that the 'premium' butters had reduced their pack size to 200g from 250g.  Husband went to get lard yesterday to make pastry for mince pies. When he got back home the shopping was on the counter. I moved the lard and thought 'that feels light!'.  I checked and Morrisons cheapo lard is now 200g!  Check your labels folks!
[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
Trying not to waste food!:j
ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie

Comments

• 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    400ixl said:
    Rock and a hard place, reduce the size and keep the price, or raise the price and keep the size. Some will prefer the former, others the latter.

Agree with read the label and make your choice, especially with a product like this as if the ingredient requires 250g as you will need to buy 2, where as if it only requires 200g then all is good.
    Why buy 250g packs?
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    35har1old said:
    400ixl said:
    Rock and a hard place, reduce the size and keep the price, or raise the price and keep the size. Some will prefer the former, others the latter.

Agree with read the label and make your choice, especially with a product like this as if the ingredient requires 250g as you will need to buy 2, where as if it only requires 200g then all is good.
    Why buy 250g packs?
    It’s what most stuff comes in, if  it is 200g as it has been shrinkflation-Ed
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Butter and lard have traditionally been 250g. I noticed that Eastern European butters tend to be 200g. Butter manufacturers are being sneaky. Bakers may well need to buy two 200g packs, so they are shifting more product.

Checked on Milk & More and Pure Nature (Belgian) and Daylesford organic butters are 200g but Netherend Farm and All Things Butter are still 250g. 

Sainsbury's organic is still 250g but I noticed that Anchor and Lurpak are 200g by both come in bigger sizes too.I

Some people will switch to margarine.
  • Auntycaz
    Auntycaz Posts: 3,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    By cutting the pack size by 20% we are getting a bigger price increase than if they kept the same pack size and increased the price by a few pence as they still charge the same price for the 200gm packs as they did for the 250gm.
    It's the underhand way they do it that annoys me, a lot of people probably don't even notice it has happened as they are short on time. 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    I bought West Country butter from Lidl today, it was £2 for a 250g pack and I had a 15% off voucher so it cost £1.70 (the same as the 200g pack of Lurpak on offer atm).
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Christianne1957
    Options
    I buy Farmfoods salted and unsalted Butter - it's £1.29 for 227g at the moment.

Newly retired and looking forward to 
    a fulfilling, positive & happy future.

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I bought lidls own butter [ I think it's the west counrty one but not sure] last night, £1.69 each.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morrisons savers butter was also £1.69 yesterday for 250g.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family