Removing Paint from the Bath Tiles (Bath Tile Paint)

2»

Comments

• mazibee
    mazibee Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone.

I mamaged to get the paint off from the tiles using the Paint Varnish Stripper, I applied a a thick coat and left it whole night in the morning almost all was gone , just needed a little scrubbong using the hot water.

One problem the paint is removed from the tile burt still its left on the grouting.

Any suggestions for removing paint tile paint from the grouting?

Previoulsy the paint was of light brown colour and now I am doing a dark grey,

it will be cover the previous light shade but thought, might be a there is a better way of doing to avoid peeling afterward.

Thanks in advance.

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 December 2023 at 1:26PM
    mazibee said:
    Thanks everyone.

I mamaged to get the paint off from the tiles using the Paint Varnish Stripper, I applied a a thick coat and left it whole night in the morning almost all was gone , just needed a little scrubbong using the hot water.

One problem the paint is removed from the tile burt still its left on the grouting.

Any suggestions for removing paint tile paint from the grouting?

Previoulsy the paint was of light brown colour and now I am doing a dark grey,

it will be cover the previous light shade but thought, might be a there is a better way of doing to avoid peeling afterward.

Thanks in advance.
    What do you mean by the bit in bold? Was the previous paint peeling?
    As long as the tiled surface is thoroughly clean, thoroughly, there should be no risk of peeling.
    And cleaning now will include removing every single trace of stripper.
    For the grout lines, I guess adding more stripper just along them? Followed by a scraping tool that fits in neatly but won't dig in?
    What a task :-(
    If the old paint wasn't peeling, then you could have just painted over it. So there :-)
    Oops - just saw your link. Ok, that's a different paint - a multi-surface type. It almost certainly would still have adhered to the old epoxy paint ok, but a light keying would likely have been required.

• mazibee
    mazibee Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Mazibee, do you recall adding a wee pot of activator to the paint before you used it? If so, it's two-part epoxy paint as Grumb suggests.
    No idea if normal paint strippers will touch this, but it should certainly be overpaintable using the same stuff.
    So, if it's in good smooth condition, I wouldn't strip it.
    Any flaws currently in it should be easily smoothened using 600 grit 'wet or dry' paper used wet. 
    But if you really want shot of it, ask Rustoleum. 

I remember that the paint was all ready and I have not added any other mixture  in the paint.
  • Removing paint from existing bath tiles can be a bit challenging, but you're on the right track with the paint and varnish stripper. Since it hasn't been as effective as expected, you might want to consider letting the stripper sit for a longer period—perhaps overnight. Make sure to follow the product's instructions for the best results.

Regarding painting over the existing tile paint, it's generally recommended to remove the old paint for better adhesion of the new color. However, if you're considering a dark color, it may help to do a small test patch in an inconspicuous area to see how it adheres and whether it meets your expectations.

Also, consider seeking advice from a local hardware store or a tile professional for more personalized guidance. Good luck with your project
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary

Also, consider seeking advice from a local hardware store...
    Ha-ha.....

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    To clean out the grout use a little grout scraper.
    Probably key the grout with this then try the stripper.
    If the grout will scrape out a mm or two you can then regrout thinly once you've painted the tiles for a neat finish.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport