Water in my cellar

Options
OrbitHeadache
OrbitHeadache Posts: 265 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Hi I have got the water in my cellar (last picture shows the water) I know it's been raining a lot but in the many years I have lived here not had water in the cellar.

Area around stopcock and gas meter is completely dry just the otherwise which is wet.

Any advice please?
s the  

Comments

• Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    Options
    Check the seal/ compound round the various cables and pipes to see if it has dried out or deteriorated.

The airbrick could do with poking a thin rod through sections to clear debris and improve airflow.

Has any work been done outside in recent years and is ground outside dry or spongy.

The pointing low down is it stable or moved
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 4,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It could be a high water table, as these can change over the years. Water can also be tested to see if it's tap water. 
  • OrbitHeadache
    Options
    Eldi - No no work done as long as I have been here, the pointing has always been like that.

I will clear the debris and monitor for any further water.

Stuart - Thanks, i have got the homeserve insurance which covers blocked drains, leaky taps etc do you think it is worth calling them if I get more water?
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 4,061 Forumite
    Options
    Keep your eye on it. If it keeps rising on dry days it could be something other than the water table.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Cellars can get cold, and although they generally stay at a fairly constant temperature, there is always a risk of pipes freezing. Last thing you want is a burst pipe flooding the cellar completely.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2023 at 3:37PM
    Options
    In the picture of the airbrick at about 5 o'clock there is a half brick that does not seem to be attached to the wall. Was there a previous service there.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,705 Forumite
    Options
    Has the floor always dipped down in the middle where the water is pooling?
    Life in the slow lane
  • OrbitHeadache
    Options
    Yeah it's a loose brick not noticed that before.

The water has dried now so I imagine it's rainwater because the rain has stopped and of sun came out
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,487 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah it's a loose brick not noticed that before.

The water has dried now so I imagine it's rainwater because the rain has stopped and of sun came out
    Just a wild guess but yesterday there was a lot of condensation ( here in the South anyway) as the temperature went up after a cold spell. It was dripping off our skylights, off the gutters and outside window frames, and one car was wet on the windscreen inside which has never happened before
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,552 Forumite
    Options
    Is the wall with the high up air brick the same one as shown in the dipped floor photo? Is that a missing brick at near ground level?

Looks like coal was delivered down there, via a shute now bricked up around the air brick. 

The sunken floor was probably caused by many years of walking back and forward to collect the coal.

What is outside the air brick? Is is perhaps a void with a metal grid above? Or maybe a cast iron cover? Just wondering if water could be pooling outside of that air brick and seeping down. It's very wet this autumn.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback