OVO chasing money after 4 years

Blackavar
Blackavar Posts: 208
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
We left Ovo just over 4 years ago and have had 2 suppliers since. As far as I was aware the account was settled at the time.
Out of the blue I have a genuine email from Ovo saying I owe them £18.40 owing from account closure. As it was so long ago I have no records from this account so unsure how to proceed. Although it’s a small amount I am loathe to send the money especially as my energy accounts have historically remained in serious credit. 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,305
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Tell them that you need a copy of your accounts with them to prove the debt is owed.  If they get fussy I'd be fussy back and submit a subject access request so they have to give you every single record they have for you.  Hopefully they will get annoyed enough to write off such a small amount.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Blackavar said:
    We left Ovo just over 4 years ago and have had 2 suppliers since. As far as I was aware the account was settled at the time.
    Out of the blue I have a genuine email from Ovo saying I owe them £18.40 owing from account closure. As it was so long ago I have no records from this account so unsure how to proceed. Although it’s a small amount I am loathe to send the money especially as my energy accounts have historically remained in serious credit. 
    OVO did very similar to friend of mine last year, think it was £55 or £60.

He requested they provide records of how this charge was possible, they were unable to produce any records that made sense and he said he won't pay.

They agreed records produced were not matched or correct, so they apologised and closed the matter.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback