stupid question about data use on an android phone

Options
Brie
Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
so I've got a work phone and needed to use it today for a Teams meeting.  An hour in to this I get a text message to say I'm out of data.  Stupid me forgot to connect to the wifi.  Got connected and continued with meeting.

Now normally I mostly use this phone as a phone so making calls and texting.  I do occasionally use it for WhatsApp but can avoid that (willingly) as I also have WhatsApp on my laptop.  

The text message says I need to request more data (for ££) but I don't want to do that - I don't get paid enough to pay for work things myself and am not going to ask work to pay as it's a charity.  

So if I try to use WhatsApp without being connected to wifi will anything happen?  And am I right in thinking not having data has no effect on using the phone for calls or texts?

be kind - I'm feeling extra simple today!!!
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whatsapp will still use data if not connected to wi-fi but calls and SMS texts will not
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    if you don't have any data then when you use WhatsApp your sent messages will be queued and only sent when you connect to Wi-Fi

also of course you will not receive any WhatsApp messages until you connect to Wi-Fi - at which point they will all come in at once
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some service providers will simply cut the data if you have reached the allowance, not allow it to continue using more (which will incur a fee).  What are the details for your package?

On Android phones, there is a data-alert that you can set up within the phone to either alert or stop data before your allowance is breached.  This will protect you against unexpected bills.
    On my phone, the data alert is at:
     - settings
     - network and internet
     - data warning and limit
     - set data warning - I have this set at 1 GB below the allowance.
     - set data limit - I have this set at 0.5 GB below the allowance.

The warning puts annoying alert signs up on the screen.
    The limit stops data from the phone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure