🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Viessmann 200-W Gas Boiler - The most efficient boiler sold in the UK?

Options

Comments

• Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 8 December 2023 at 10:33PM
    Options
    Cardew said:
    Both in this thread and your other thread you appear to attach great importance to the ability of the boiler to modulate down to low outputs, and indeed in the other thread it appeared to be the main justification for disposing of a five year old boiler.

The advantage of low modulation is to prevent 'cycling'and whilst preventing cycling does improve efficiency you appear to be claiming this ability to modulate down to low levels accounts can give a 50% saving on milder days  and this cannot be true.

If your boiler can modulate down to, say, 3kW for a given heating demand and another boiler can only modulate down to 6kW for the same heating demand, this boiler simply switches off and on(i.e. cycles). They still produce the same amount of heat to satisfy the heating demand albeit your V200 will be marginally more efficient.

Indeed Oil boilers do not modulate:

'oil boilers generally do not modulate - they simply operate on an on/off basis. To incorporate modulating technology in an oil boiler would substantially increase the cost of manufacture and offer little gain in efficiency to the homeowner.'
    In both posts, I have stated that the V200's ability to deliver the 31% reduction in gas consumption is due to several factors, including its class leading modulation ratio and ability to deliver lower flow temperatures across both circuits.

Forgive me for not believing the benefit of preventing boiler cycling is in any way marginal.

https://www.heatgeek.com/what-is-boiler-modulation/

To flip the coin on its head, do you believe the old Greenstar 18Ri could have delivered anywhere close to the gas savings I have shared if I had simply replaced K22 radiators with UFH? I think we both know the answer is an emphatic no. 

-  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!
  • Bendo
    Bendo Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bendo said:

Its pretty obvious isnt it. UFH with low flow temps means it will always be cool enough to condense. The big rads removed would have been only condensing a little or not at all.
    What's less obvious is that the radiator circuit runs flow temperatures 5 degrees warmer than the UFH circuit (35 vs. 30 degrees C flow). Any decent boiler will condense at those temps. 
    You ran your rads at 35 degrees?

Are you a wind up,  you may as well have just lit a candle.
  • Screwdriva
    edited 9 December 2023 at 10:04AM
    Options
    Bendo said:

35-40 degrees at -2C even today. Welcome to low temperature heating. 

The house is warm and confortable as it is well insulated. 
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Bendo said:
    Bendo said:

Its pretty obvious isnt it. UFH with low flow temps means it will always be cool enough to condense. The big rads removed would have been only condensing a little or not at all.
    What's less obvious is that the radiator circuit runs flow temperatures 5 degrees warmer than the UFH circuit (35 vs. 30 degrees C flow). Any decent boiler will condense at those temps. 

A 35°C flow temperature is quite acceptable for a modern heating system - If you are running a heat pump, it is within the typical range. The downside is you need radiators some five times larger than you would with a 70°C flow temperature (a traditional number for gas/oil CH). The flow & return pipes also need to be much bigger as you need to pump a greater quantity of water around the system.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    Then why on earth do you need a boiler with such a huge output?  
    Actually,  I need a boiler with the capability to modulate effectively. 19 kW to recharge the cylinder quickly and 2.1kW to heat the house on most mild days. 
    You need 19 kW to recharge your cylinder quickly because the coil inside your cylinder hasn't got a large enough surface area.  It's like trying to heat a well-insulated room with an undersized radiator, you can only do it quickly by making the radiator very hot. 

You are going to have to replace that cylinder when you eventually get a heat pump, a decade or so hence.  Either that or you will briefly run your heat pump at a high water temperature and put up with the fact that that is not so efficient.  Presumably that also applies to your gas boiler now, you have to greatly increase the output temperature to recharge your hot water cylinder?  Do you think you are making any savings on hot water heating or is it all coming from heating your house?  
    Reed
  • Screwdriva
    Options
    Reed_Richards said:

You are going to have to replace that cylinder when you eventually get a heat pump, a decade or so hence.  Either that or you will briefly run your heat pump at a high water temperature and put up with the fact that that is not so efficient.  Presumably that also applies to your gas boiler now, you have to greatly increase the output temperature to recharge your hot water cylinder?  Do you think you are making any savings on hot water heating or is it all coming from heating your house?  
    We have a Megaflo and I agree it’s got to go.

Savings on gas for PDHW are around 30-35% (measured) as the v200 measures cylinder temperature and heats to 50C only (with a weekly Legionella cycle). All due to lower storage temperatures, as the boiler can’t condense for most of that cycle. 

Current preference is to install a Mixergy iHP and have the built-in heat pump handle hot water autonomously. 

• Reed_Richards
    Options
    My Atag gas boiler, installed 1998, always measured the DHW cylinder temperature and we set it to 50 C (with an automatic weekly Legionella cycle).  I've had this capability for such a long time that I forget that for many people it's an innovation.  
    Reed
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 December 2023 at 12:23PM
    Options
    My Atag gas boiler, installed 1998, always measured the DHW cylinder temperature and we set it to 50 C
    Every gas CH system with a HW tank should have a tank stat that only calls for heat when the tank is below the set temperature. If the OP didn't, that's a clear shortfall on their old installation and not the fault of the boiler.
    Savings on gas for PDHW are around 30-35% (measured) as the v200 measures cylinder temperature and heats to 50C only (with a weekly Legionella cycle). All due to lower storage temperatures, as the boiler can’t condense for most of that cycle.
    What are you doing to your system to stop the boiler condensing when heating DHW?
    With a just-above-50 degree C return temp, your boiler should be in the condensing regime for the whole time.
    If run under the same conditions, your old WB would have condensed too.
    You need 19 kW to recharge your cylinder quickly because the coil inside your cylinder hasn't got a large enough surface area.  It's like trying to heat a well-insulated room with an undersized radiator, you can only do it quickly by making the radiator very hot. 
    That doesn't seem to follow?
    A small coil can only transfer a small amount of power, and so will only need a smaller boiler output.
    If Screwdriva needs 19kW to "recharge his cylinder", it must have a large coil? Otherwise there's nowhere for the heat to go?
    I don't know how big the cylinder is, but heating 300 litres of water from 10C to 40C only needs 14kWh. Unless you're a family of six having 100-litre baths back-to-back, I don't see a use case?
    FreeBear said:
    The flow & return pipes also need to be much bigger as you need to pump a greater quantity of water around the system.
    Sorry but that's nonsense.
    If your flow temp is 10C higher than your return temp (a common design goal), you'll get the same heat transfer at the same flow rate regardless of the actual water temperatures.
    For a delta-T of 10 degrees C, 1 litre of water per second is 42 kJ/s - 42 kW.
    OPs 19kW boiler is notionally capable of heating 452ml of water a second by 10C. This is the same for a 35/25C flow system as for a 50/40C or 80/70C one.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 December 2023 at 12:46PM
    Options
    A big source of inefficiency of the old set up, shown in the video, was cold water constantly flowing through the HWC. Could that amount to 30%?
  • Bendo
    Bendo Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bendo said:

35-40 degrees at -2C even today. Welcome to low temperature heating. 

The house is warm and confortable as it is well insulated. 

Yes, but that's with UFH. Your K2 rads are a different matter. Unless they were seriously big in a small room then I can't see how they were doing anything.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure