FireStick

Options
I’ve been watching the football on Amazon over the past few nights via the Firestick connection and every now and again the transmission stops to buffer, albeit for just a few seconds. Presumably it’s down to our internet connection which at times can be a little temperamental. We’re with Sky, previously EE, but Wi-Fi on iPad and mobiles can be slow.
If we swap the present set-up for a smart tv, are we likely to experience similar issues? 

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    baser999 said:
    I’ve been watching the football on Amazon over the past few nights via the Firestick connection and every now and again the transmission stops to buffer, albeit for just a few seconds. Presumably it’s down to our internet connection which at times can be a little temperamental. We’re with Sky, previously EE, but Wi-Fi on iPad and mobiles can be slow.
    If we swap the present set-up for a smart tv, are we likely to experience similar issues? 

If the issue is with the Wifi setup you can change the telly until the cows come home and it will make absolutely no difference.

The wi-fi on Sky routers is rubbish anyway, particularly the SR series.  The newer ones may be better.
  • JSmithy45AD
    Options
    baser999 said:
    If you can wire the TV to the router then it won't do any harm for sure. Firesticks have limited memory and the receiver for the WiFi is obviously small so can be an issue with buffering and getting a steady stream. The aerial in the TV should be much longer if stuck with WiFi. Wouldn't it have been easier and quicker to just try it yourself?

Despite people complaining about Sky routers and their WiFi they're no worse or better than any other "free" routers. An expensive branded router should be better but you're going to have to pay for it.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 December 2023 at 11:17AM
    Options
    baser999 said:
    If you can wire the TV to the router then it won't do any harm for sure. Firesticks have limited memory and the receiver for the WiFi is obviously small so can be an issue with buffering and getting a steady stream. The aerial in the TV should be much longer if stuck with WiFi. Wouldn't it have been easier and quicker to just try it 
    Not sure what you’re meaning by try it yourself? I don’t presently have a smart tv, so short of buying one I don’t know how I can test whether it’d work properly
  • JSmithy45AD
    Options
    baser999 said:
    baser999 said:
    If you can wire the TV to the router then it won't do any harm for sure. Firesticks have limited memory and the receiver for the WiFi is obviously small so can be an issue with buffering and getting a steady stream. The aerial in the TV should be much longer if stuck with WiFi. Wouldn't it have been easier and quicker to just try it 
    Not sure what you’re meaning by try it yourself? I don’t presently have a smart tv, so short of buying one I don’t know how I can test whether it’d work properly
    Apologies, I missed that bit in your post. In that case absolutely nobody can say either way with any certainty. I'd try and resolve the issues with your internet before spending £100's of pounds on a new TV then. Try the broadband forum perhaps for more help.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I found that connecting my "smart" TV using powerline adapters/ethernet cable ,was far more reliable than depending on wireless for video services.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I found that connecting my "smart" TV using powerline adapters/ethernet cable ,was far more reliable than depending on wireless for video services.
    same here, although we've got a decent wifi signal all around the house and even out into the garden we find we get a much more reliable TV experience using either direct cabling to the router or using Powerline Adapters (we've got a Smart TV and SKY Q box which are both connected via ethernet cable to the router)
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure