PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ground rent.

Good day,

I've been asked to pay the ground rent for 2024 by the 31/01/2024. Is that legal to ask for a full year payment at the beginning of the New Year? Could you please support with any legal advice and options?   

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Erion

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,396
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It’s “legal” if it’s what your lease says. So, what does it say?
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 836
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @Panagioti1975 you'll have to read your contract, we could only guess as to what it says regarding payment dates.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,156
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

As others say, your lease will tell you when ground rent is payable. (But it's usually payable in advance.)

It's best to be very sure that you are right, before deciding not to pay. The freeholder will probably add 'late fees', if you don't pay.

If it then turns out that the freeholder was right about payment dates (and you are wrong), you'll have to pay the extra fees.

How much is the ground rent? TBH, unless it's a very large amount, I'd be tempted to just pay it anyway. But making sure that I don't get charged twice for the same year. 

• It does actually mention the rent payment by the 1st of January of each year.
    Thank you very much for the swift replies. 
  • Marky4040
    Marky4040 Posts: 113
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good day,

I've been asked to pay the ground rent for 2024 by the 31/01/2024. Is that legal to ask for a full year payment at the beginning of the New Year? Could you please support with any legal advice and options?   

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
    Erion

Yes thats normal, mine sends invoice in November! But i wait till Jan to pay, cheeky gits.
  • Ground rent has to be demanded in the correct legal format with a summary of rights and obligations otherwise the demand isn't valid.

For years I just paid mine without prompting and without any demands/receipts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback