Bricks above DPC



  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Something not good when a brick shears in half 

    It's already been advised get a structural engineer out 
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am no structural engineer but your house has had a lot of movement.

    A LOT

    Hairline cracks could be plaster drying etc perfectly normal, but they are not small. 

    You need to make a complaint to your housing association and show them the pictures if they have not seen them already. The size of the crakes is not something that they should ignore.

    Try your local citizen's advice as they should know the housing association and may be able to help.

    I don't know how possible this is but you need a structural report. Removing a wall and not supporting it correctly puts pressure on the house and the building in ways that were never meant to happen. It could cause lots of issues and although I am speculating it could have caused the crakes you are seeing. 

    Also, speak to your local council shelt also has a system to complain, but don't ignore the crakes they are not going away. 
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • weeg
    weeg Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    As others have said, you really need an engineer to come out and take a look. The issue isn't the bricks, it's whatever is causing the underlying problem.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards