Sonos Play 1

GDB2222
GDB2222 Posts: 24,350
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
I have just purchased a recertified Sonos Play 1 on the (apparently incorrect) assumption that it is voice enabled. After all, who would be daft enough to sell a smart speaker these days that isn't voice enabled?

I am just about to send it back for a refund, and to be fair to Sonos they are paying the return postage. 

Before I do that, I just want to check with the assembled Gurus that I haven't got it wrong, and the Play 1 is just a bluetooth speaker, dressed up a bit?
No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,925
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2023 at 9:33AM
    The early generation Sonos aren't voice enabled (that's why you'll only normally be able to get refurbished ones) - but link it to an Alexa or similar and hey presto, job done.

Well worth keeping if you want decent sound quality.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,202
    Forumite
    GDB2222 said:
    I have just purchased a recertified Sonos Play 1 on the (apparently incorrect) assumption that it is voice enabled. After all, who would be daft enough to sell a smart speaker these days that isn't voice enabled?
    I'd more question who one earth would want a voice enabled speaker?

The Play 1 isn't voice enabled but its obvious use case is in partnership with a second (or more) Sono's speaker to create stereo or surround sound... if you had a 5.1 surround sound there would be no need for all 6 speakers to be voice enabled; it'd be a nightmare if they were. 
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,350
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2023 at 9:49AM
    Thanks very much for confirming. 

I have tried it out, and the sound quality is excellent. It would make an excellent surround sound speaker, or I could use it as a BT speaker linked to an Echo.

It's just that what I want is a stand alone Echo substitute, and I'm disappointed that Sonos market it as a smart speaker, when it isn't very smart at all.

In my office, I have a pair of active speakers linked to an Echo, and that works well. I am toying with doing the same with the Sonos, but will probably return it.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,090
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I have a Play:1 and it's a streaming speaker - it can BT stream but it can also stream from the internet, or a local music server.
    They are £79 from Sonos via eBay.  It can be controlled by the Sonos app on a smartphone or tablet.

The later equivalent (no voice control) is the One SL(£179 on offer at £135 currently; and with voice the One (£199). 
    The very latest equivalent is the Era 100 (£249) and includes voice control.

The play:1 is a bargain for good little speaker.  NB the full benefit of the Sonos system need multiple speakers for multiroom listening of material in sync.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,202
    Forumite
    GDB2222 said:
    I'm disappointed that Sonos market it as a smart speaker, when it isn't very smart at all.
    Voice control isn't the only definition of smart... most smart lightbulbs cannot directly be controlled with voice but can integrate with other devices that have voice control and form part of scenes etc. Our universal TV remote (physical and app) for example turns off certain smart bulbs when you select to watch TV on the projector (similarly turns on the projector, drops the screen etc)

I don't use Sonos but believe its similar, the way it integrates with the full range of other Sonos speakers/soundbases etc is where its smarts start to come in and elevate it from a basic BT speaker. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback