Redundancy and new style JSA

Options
My job is getting redundant. My notice period is 12 weeks, I will have my notice letter issued on the  9th of February, then will work 4 weeks, and workplace shut down on 8th March 2024( this will be last day of my employment).
My payment was proposed - 4 weeks redundancy pay + 8 weeks PILON to be paid with last wages on 25th March. 
I have question about JSA - as I will be struggling with childcare for summer school holidays, I would like to start claiming new style JSA after I my child will come back at school ( from September). Also, as it's my only chance to spend summer holiday in my home country (I've been working for 16 years, never had long break), so I will be abroad.
I was trying to find information what is maximum time I can wait until I apply for JSA, but couldn't find anything. I will not be entitled to any Universal credit. 
Would anyone be able to advise what is the earliest, also the latest date I can apply (if it's too late in September, I would like to start ASAP to get support before I'll be overseas) 
Thank you in advance. 

Comments

• housebuyer143
    Options
    New style JSA can't be backdated and you can only claim for 6 months. If you claim from April then it will start from April, but the first week isn't payable. Are you expecting to be unemployed for over 6 months so you can go away in September? You can of course claim from September if you haven't put in a claim before but once you have used your 6 months then you don't get anymore. 

To be claiming jsa though you need to be looking for work and have go to the job centre. If you go abroad for weeks at a time you can expect them to stop your claim. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback