What should I do with item credit card company have refunded

Options
Bought something online, tried to send it back. Company ignored my emails so I contacted my credit card company who duly refunded me.

They still havent been in touch with details of how to send it back, theres no address on the website just an email.

How long do I need to keep the item I don't want before disposing of it? Its been a few weeks just sat in the corner ready to be sent back and getting in the way.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Presumably this was processed as a chargeback? 

When did you raise the dispute with the bank? Be aware that under a chargeback the bank refunds you immediately but can recharge you at a later date if the merchant defends the claim and they said with the merchant. The merchant has 45 days to respond but there can be time to notify them and time to process their response meaning the total time is longer. 

Assuming the full chargeback process has ended, and you've not mistaken the original refund as the end, then ideally you'd send them a communication giving them a period of time (eg 2 weeks) to arrange collection else you will sell the item (eg on eBay) and have the funds available for them to be paid onto them. 
  • betheboat
    Options
    I’m not sure what it was, but the company took a second payment after the first payment was disputed. The credit card company cancelled and sent me a new card and I got texts saying they refunded two fraud payments. 

In terms of selling it on eBay, I’m not going to spend my time doing that, I just want to throw it in the bin or take it a charity shop
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    betheboat said:
    In terms of selling it on eBay, I’m not going to spend my time doing that, I just want to throw it in the bin or take it a charity shop
    Its not your property, you will find cases on here where the merchant has come out of the woodwork after a while and taken the person to court for the value of the goods because the person had disposed of it (they have 6 years from the date of sale effectively). If you prefer the risk of court to the hassle of selling it then thats your choice but do it in the knowledge of the potential consequences. 
  • betheboat
    Options
    betheboat said:
    Its not your property, you will find cases on here where the merchant has come out of the woodwork after a while and taken the person to court for the value of the goods because the person had disposed of it (they have 6 years from the date of sale effectively). If you prefer the risk of court to the hassle of selling it then thats your choice but do it in the knowledge of the potential consequences. 

Thanks, that’s what I wanted to know. It seems insane they can ignore my requests to send it back, breaking the law in the process, then take me to court. But nothing surprises me anymore. 

I will email again and see if I get anywhere. 
  • emperormessia
    Options

It seems insane they can ignore my requests to send it back, breaking the law in the process, then take me to court. But nothing surprises me anymore. 

I will email again and see if I get anywhere. 
    It unlikely you are being ignored it could be they are experiencing massive demands and are under staffed to manage customers complaints not good for business for sure but you have your money, it no longer your problem you can just write a short email detailing what happened stating you want to return the item, you should keep the item somewhere safe until a lot of time have passed 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback