Chimney Stack Removal - North London

Options

We've been having issues with water ingress via the chimney since the chimney breast removal a few years ago (gone through numerous attempts to fix by different people without success). It's a chimney stack shared with neighbour in a Victorian house, which made it more complicated to diagnose and address it. So after so many years with water on wall comes and goes depending on the weather, we are running out of ideas to resolve the issue other than removing the chimney altogether.

Got the first quote today and want to see if the price represents a fair one for North London / Herts.

Scaffold: Price: £600

Front Chimney
• Remove the chimney to below roof level, Nd clear the debris that results
• Fit extra rafters across the area previously occupied by the stack
• Re felt and batten the same area
• Re slate the area
Price: £3920

So with VAT on top, it would cost over £5000.

I found it a bit hard to accept. Various online guides for cost estimation in 2023 seem to suggest between £1800-2400. But maybe it's a fair price for north London or I missed something?

In the meantime, the neighbour wouldn't pay - they never did previously as they claim they don't have any problems with water ingress. So it will be entirely from our pocket.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Get three quotes, preferably from people recommended to you.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Roselondon_2
    Options
    This said one who quoted was recommended and heavily used by the locals. 

But yes, I'm trying to call around to get more quotes from Which? Trust Trade... But I found it so difficult to know the quality of any tradesmen 's works until they complete the job for you...
  • Anthony147
    Options
    Have they said how long the work will take?
    In my far far from expert opinion, it would be three / four days at the outside and probably two people working.
    Materials I’ve no real idea on but can’t imagine it being more than £500 / £700 as you’re refilling a chimney space.

With the above in mind, it does seem a bit Toppy BUT maybe there’s more to it and the labour rate is for an absolute expert to reflect that.
  • Roselondon_2
    Roselondon_2 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2023 at 2:28PM
    Options
    Struggling to get another quote, it seems all the roofers are too busy to be bothered!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback