British Gases Monthly Energy Consumption & Costs Changed for Last 2 Years Not Happy Seems Suspicious

LouiseAH
LouiseAH Posts: 66
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 4 December 2023 at 11:12AM in Energy
I have been with British Gas for the last few years for my gas and electricity and got a smart meter installed Dec 2021. Since the smart meter was installed I added the monthly cost for my gas and electricity and KWH consumption to a spreadsheet. I went to update the spreadsheet at the weekend and all the figures have changed. I know British Gas have upgraded to a new system but how can my monthly costs and consumption of changed in the process. Seems very suspicious to me. I chatted with one of British Gas customer service agents online and she was not helpful. Anyone else had a similar experience. (To get the figures I logged onto the British Gas website)

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,695
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    . I know British Gas have upgraded to a new system but how can my monthly costs and consumption of changed in the process.
    Forget monthly cost and look at use. 
    Was your old meter metric or imperial?   Is the new meter metric or imperial?

2022 was a very mild year for most people.  2023 has been cooler and resulted in more energy use.    Have you factored that into your figures?

Maybe give us some figures so we have an idea what you are looking at.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh said:
    . I know British Gas have upgraded to a new system but how can my monthly costs and consumption of changed in the process.
    Forget monthly cost and look at use. 
    Was your old meter metric or imperial?   Is the new meter metric or imperial?

2022 was a very mild year for most people.  2023 has been cooler and resulted in more energy use.    Have you factored that into your figures?

Maybe give us some figures so we have an idea what you are looking at.

My interpretation is that the HISTORICAL data had changed, not that this year is different to last year. 
    However you could be correct in the different units being recorded, ie updating old data to correspond with current metric readings. Perhaps. 
  • I only started recording the prices after I got the smart meter installed so the old meter readings don't come into the equation.

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,695
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    LouiseAH said:
    I only started recording the prices after I got the smart meter installed so the old meter readings don't come into the equation.

OK.   Then give us some data to go on based on unit counts.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,970
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Inc or exc VAT ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts