New iPhone not delivered (substitution)

Hi all

Advice please. I ordered a new phone from mobiles.co.uk. DPD delivered a package the next day but rather than containing my phone it contained a power bank of similar shape and size. 

I have notified mobiles.co.uk and ID mobile. They have raised a case with DPD and are saying the investigation could take 6 days. 

Many things could have happened to the phone. It could have been stolen or it could simply have been an accident. My concern is that the other parties could accuse me of making this up to get a free phone.

The parcel was delivered. My wife had to provide a PIN before they released it. They could argue it was delivered safe and sound. 

What are my rights? Should I report to the police?

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,773
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi all

Advice please. I ordered a new phone from mobiles.co.uk. DPD delivered a package the next day but rather than containing my phone it contained a power bank of similar shape and size. 

I have notified mobiles.co.uk and ID mobile. They have raised a case with DPD and are saying the investigation could take 6 days. 

Many things could have happened to the phone. It could have been stolen or it could simply have been an accident. My concern is that the other parties could accuse me of making this up to get a free phone.

The parcel was delivered. My wife had to provide a PIN before they released it. They could argue it was delivered safe and sound. 

What are my rights? Should I report to the police?
    It may help to report it to the police because the retailer may ask you to.  Although not hard evidence, a recipient making up a story to get a free phone or refund would be less likely to report to the police than someone in your situation.

As to your rights, they're clearly to receive what you paid for or a refund.  I'd wait for the investigation period to elapse and see what the outcome is.  If it's not to your liking, speak to your card provider (assuming you paid by card) to see if they can help.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,389
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 December 2023 at 10:14AM
    This one sounds like a genuine mistake.
    If it was something underhand, the phone would more likely have been substituted for an item of notional value only, not a proper item with proper value like the powerbank.

Was the powerbank / iPhone inside another box and does that still have the padding all intact?  If the paper packing just has the shape of the powerbank that may assist.

Hope this gets sorted quickly, though a stressful couple of days for the OP while waiting.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback