Mortgage gone by 2030

Options
hellosupernova
hellosupernova Posts: 50 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 8 December 2023 at 1:21PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hi

This is my first post where I have decided to try and reach my goal of being mortgage free, a lot sooner than I originally thought. In spring this year I started to make some regular monthly overpayments to the mortgage. I think this will be a good place to track my progress.

Total mortgage borrowed: £110,475
Current mortgage amount (03.12.23): £73,576.96
Term left: 13 years 10 months
Current mandatory payment: £576.13
2 year fix until October 24 at 3.35%

Opening balance as of 31.03.23: £79,843.71
10% overpay allowance fee free: £7,984.37
Current overpayments made so far this year: £3,370 / £7,984.37 (42.2% used)

Mortgage free goal date: 2030 or earlier
Current expected end date with overpayments: 03.05.2030

Prior to this I have made a few small overpayments in the past for a short period but then had to stop them. If I manage to keep on track I would be mortgage free 7 Years, 4 Months, 3 Days earlier and save £9,994.00 according to the overpayment calculator I used.

I would like to clear off around 10k each year from the mortgage balance. It motivates me to see the numbers go from 79k to 69k and hopefully as it gets closer to say 50k it might feel like it is possible to keep going. I will at least try and see what happens.

The main concern is what interest rate I will be able to fix at and for how long I should fix for when the current deal is up. At the moment the interest rates on offer are at the highest level since we took out the mortgage so hopefully they might go down a bit before the renewal. If I had my crystal ball I would have fixed for 5 years at 3.35% but I was on 1.99% for 5 years before that. No chance of that interest rate coming back. I have thought about maybe increasing the overpayments up to the renewal date whilst the interest rate is lower to see if I can reduce the balance a little bit more before the interest hikes up again. I might also try to see if I can afford to reduce the term down to 10 years from the 13 years it will be when the fix is up.

My immediate goal is to look at areas where I can reduce or cut spending further and hopefully have more cash to add to the savings or an overpayment depending on how I am doing each month. This is not a new thing but I know that there are things I can try to streamline again and maybe not spend on for awhile. I have changed phone plans to slightly cheaper month by month contracts, cancelled the music streaming service and will use the free playlists on youtube etc to see if I can live without it for the forseeable. I need to look at other areas like the food shop.

Since the spring I have made an overpayment each month and this month's was £500. So the next payment should be when I get paid again before Christmas.

hellosupernova

Mortgage Free Wannabe
Mortgage free aim date (set Dec 23): 2030 or earlier
Mortgage free wannabe starting figure: £73,576.96
Current Mortgage Figure: £69,000

Mortgage end date with no overpayments: 20th July 2037
Mortgage end date with overpayments: 1st Jan 2030

Goal 1   10k off mortgage balance by 31st March 2024           Achieved
Goal 2   60k mortgage balance by 30th September 2024

Comments

• LadyWithAPlan
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great place to track your mortgage OP's and pick up tips...
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • hellosupernova
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great place to track your mortgage OP's and pick up tips...
    Hi thanks for the welcome and for reading. I could definitely use some tips!
    Mortgage Free Wannabe

• hellosupernova
    Options
    I still need to look at the food shop more but I thought to start with one item that I consume a lot of which is Earl Grey tea. I usually try different brands but I have never managed to swap from Twinings, as I really did not like the other brands I had tried. I don't usually shop in Marks and Spencer but whilst I was there for other things I bought some of theirs and it was nice, so I am swapping and saving a few pounds there.

So after looking at the monthly savings from changing phone contracts, cancelling the music streaming service and swapping the tea, I have saved around £15 monthly. Going forward I am going to add these savings to the regular overpayment of £500 which I hope to maintain so that should now be £515 each month. So not bad for a start.

Mortgage Free Wannabe

• isadreamalie
    isadreamalie Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 December 2023 at 10:32AM
    Options
    I'm aiming to overpay by 10k a year too
    I'm also paying 500 on average although 400 is fine as it still means paying the worst of it off in the next five years. It's not so much about being mortgage free as it is about minimising debt and payments 

Current balance is £111,000 down from my initial £230,000 around six years ago. I used to pay 1k sometimes up to 3k in overpayment but I can't afford that anymore. Still £500 is a hefty sum so it's all good.
    Currently on a new 5 year fix and pay £599 a month. Excited to dip below £600. I would have done this last year but my interest going from 1.99 % to 2.59% set me back a year
  • hellosupernova
    Options
    I'm aiming to overpay by 10k a year too
    I'm also paying 500 on average although 400 is fine as it still means paying the worst of it off in the next five years. It's not so much about being mortgage free as it is about minimising debt and payments 

Current balance is £111,000 down from my initial £230,000 around six years ago. I used to pay 1k sometimes up to 3k in overpayment but I can't afford that anymore. Still £500 is a hefty sum so it's all good.
    Currently on a new 5 year fix and pay £599 a month. Excited to dip below £600. I would have done this last year but my interest going from 1.99 % to 2.59% set me back a year
    You have done really well so far in a short time. I am hoping to try to get a 5 year fix ideally that's at an ok interest rate when I need to renew but things are not looking too great at the moment. 

I think the key for me is to make a consistent monthly overpayment when possible and then it becomes a habit that I don't even think about. Every little helps I guess if I can see the balance going down and feel like I am making some progress. However time will tell if I can keep up with overpaying but writing in this diary has helped and it makes me think about what I am realistically going to do to try and get there.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe

• HotDog2020
    Options
    Good luck on your quest, wishing you every success.
    April Missions:-

Mission 1 - NS days aim 14/30 actual 15/30 Current Month April. Mission Success, Yay!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Mission 2 - Increase EF By The end of the month 

JdownFdownMdownA M J J A S O N D
  • hellosupernova
    Options
    Good luck on your quest, wishing you every success.
    Thank you! Wishing you all the best too.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,310 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary  :)
    Every little OP helps.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • hellosupernova
    Options
    beanielou said:
    Happy shiny new diary  :)
    Every little OP helps.
    Thanks beanielou!
    Mortgage Free Wannabe

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. Tracking your progress in your signature can help - with your start balance, number of payments left and your current progress. Some people also track no spend days or free money in month etc. Find a few goals that work for you and keep posting. Always consider your long term pension needs too.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure