Am I weird?!

Options
Me and my fiancé got engaged in 2021 and since then, haven't really put any thought into the actual deed of getting married/planning a wedding!

Granted, some life events have got in the way of things but the thought of having a wedding and the planning, doesn't appeal to either of us! And the more we think about it, the more we realise we'd be doing it to please friends and family. Naturally they're happy for us and want to celebrate with us etc. it just doesn't seem to appeal anymore. 

I don't know if it's an age thing, I'm 38 and my fiancé is 46. We've got better things to spend £1,000s on than a party! If we were still in our 20/30s then it would feel more important?

My mental health hasn't been 100% over the last couple of years either since I lost my mum and I don't know if that's what's also clouding my thinking. I've never been a huge social butterfly but would enjoy a family gathering. The thought of being the centre of attention gives me major anxiety!

Does anyone else feel like this?

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why did you get engaged? 
    Nothing wrong with staying engaged for a long time (or forever) although people will ask you when you intend to get married as that what being engaged means. 
    If you want to get married for other reasons just have a small registry wedding and invite important friends and relatives and then go to a pub afterwards for some food and drink. 
  • njkmr
    njkmr Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Absolutely no need to get married or have a lavish wedding.
    If your both happy as you are then carry on.
    In years to come it may feel right to make it official but do it as you please, quietly even , during a holiday abroad .
    No need to spend money on a party for everyone else.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No need to have big wedding or a clebration afterwards.

You can have a registry wedding with just the two of you and two witnesses. Nobody else need know unless your partner wears a wedding ring to advertise the fact.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    There are benefits to being married, IHT for example, but you can do it very simply with no fuss/thousands being spent on a 'do'
  • yorkiechick
    Options
    We absolutely want to be married, it just feels weird to not feel excited by having a wedding.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We absolutely want to be married, it just feels weird to not feel excited by having a wedding.
    If you don't want the fuss, just do it simply.

Or do you feel obliged to have a massive wedding?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback