Invoiced fully for incomplete gas combi boiler service

I recently booked to have my boiler serviced by a local gas maintenance company. (I have used this same company before with no issues, but it was a different engineer to who I had had previously who came out this time.) Within 10 mins of him arriving he told me there was too much gas coming into the house and he consequently turned off the gas and contacted the local gas network. He abandoned work on the service but spent time sitting in his van outside and then told me he had to go the local merchants. He was back 15 mins later, capped my meter and left approximately an hour after first arriving. The gas network engineer arrived shortly after he left and tested the pressure but could find no faults. He tested several times and wasn’t getting any reading that was above 29 and it was therefore normal. However he did replace the regulator. He didn’t leave me any paperwork as he said there were no issues with the gas supply and told me paperwork is only left if there is a fault. I have now been billed by the local maintenance company for the full price of a service even though they didn’t do the service. They are using the fact that the regulator was replaced as leverage by telling me it must have been faulty. They are telling me to try to reclaim the money back from the gas network company. 

They will charge me another full service fee If I book them to come back to finish the service. Where do I stand on this? I’ve told them several times that the gas network engineer did not find any faults or problems but they don’t seem to believe me because the regulator was replaced. 

I’ve already told them I’m unhappy and think it’s unfair to have to pay in effect double for a service but I’m not getting anywhere. Im concerned they’ll threaten to take me to the small claims court if I don’t pay this invoice. I am obviously prepared to pay towards their time but in my opinion they were only at my property actively doing something for 10-15 mins, and should have had equipment with them to cap the meter without having to go to a merchants to get equipment. 

Any help would be much appreciated 
thanks

Comments

• Further update: I have contacted the gas network company who sent an engineer out to confirm what they did and they’ve told me in writing that the engineer “couldn’t find any problems with the meter and regulator and did a gas tightness test which passed . He has advised that he has changed the meter governor on a best endeavour basis , although everything was fine at the visit” 
  • SaverRate
    SaverRate Posts: 925
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I would find a different boiler servicing company IMO.

How much did they charge for the Boiler service? I normally pay around £75 mark which if they came out etc then they still have to bill for their time. Although I would have expected them to have completed the boiler service as this was what you instructed them to do then capped the gas and told you to contact the gas company. 

You could argue you instructed them to do a boiler service which they have yet to complete! You didn't (I assume?) instruct them to do anything else. 

At the very least put in a formal complaint to the boiler servicing company. 
    FTB - April 2020 
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,090
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 December 2023 at 3:14PM
    As you say "billed" leads me to believe you haven't paid yet.
    As you know have it in writing that the service person was wrong then I wouldn't pay and find another firm to service your boiler.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,269
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If the gas engineer doesn't carry a blanking cap I'd be amazed! They cap off any gas service with a dead drop - ie a leak above the allowance when tested - if the customer doesn't agree to the repair or can't be contacted, or if for any other reason it doesn't get fixed. 
  • Thanks for the responses so far. No I’ve not paid yet. I’ve been invoiced for the full service fee of £66 (which seems to be the going rate around this area). I requested a boiler service and have been told by the gas maintenance company that the engineer had already serviced the filter & the condensate but then found the problem and had to stop the rest of the service as all his figures would be off.

The only other “work” as such was that I’d also asked for a quote for some remedial work regarding issues with the original install of the boiler (installed by a different company) : changing condensate pipe to terminate under the sink / sealing off the flue / changing the current plug on the boiler to a fuse spur, but I’m assuming this required just a quick visual. It  was priced up over the phone later on when I spoke to the office. 

I do have it in writing from the network that there were no issues. However the maintenance company are adamant about the pressure and have shown me a photograph they’ve taken showing a high pressure reading on a gas test gauge at the meter. 

Are these readings always accurate? Or can equipment be faulty? The network engineer did say to me if the gas had been turned off and just switched on it rushes through the pipes and can give an inaccurate reading if it’s not given time to settle. 
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,090
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 December 2023 at 11:31AM
    Thanks for the responses so far. No I’ve not paid yet. I’ve been invoiced for the full service fee of £66 (which seems to be the going rate around this area). I requested a boiler service and have been told by the gas maintenance company that the engineer had already serviced the filter & the condensate but then found the problem and had to stop the rest of the service as all his figures would be off.

The only other “work” as such was that I’d also asked for a quote for some remedial work regarding issues with the original install of the boiler (installed by a different company) : changing condensate pipe to terminate under the sink / sealing off the flue / changing the current plug on the boiler to a fuse spur, but I’m assuming this required just a quick visual. It  was priced up over the phone later on when I spoke to the office. 

I do have it in writing from the network that there were no issues. However the maintenance company are adamant about the pressure and have shown me a photograph they’ve taken showing a high pressure reading on a gas test gauge at the meter. 

Are these readings always accurate? Or can equipment be faulty? The network engineer did say to me if the gas had been turned off and just switched on it rushes through the pipes and can give an inaccurate reading if it’s not given time to settle. 
    I would go back to them stating either the reading was faulty or the service person failed to allowed for the rush of gas when switched on again.
    You can only go what the network engineers have found, that there is no leak and wrong to disconnect the gas supply and end the service.
    Once full service is complete and paperwork shows this then you will pay,  but you are unable to pay for an incomplete service.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,005
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Just write to the Boiler Servicing company.

Dear <name>
    On X date your engineer visited my property to service my boiler. He stated there was too much gas coming into the property, capped the gas off, and contacted the local gas network to resolve the problem. The local gas network visited on <DATE> and found no issues whatsoever with the gas supply. They have confirmed this in writing. As an error was made by your own engineering, then no boiler service was carried out, therefore fee is due. I am more than happy to pay the £66 for my boiler service once the service has been carried out."

Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,106
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can make a complaint to us if you suspect illegal gas workers, badly completed work, or when your appliances haven't been registered with us

Raise a Cocern
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure