Can declined payments be made subsequently what is the law?

In May I tried to book a flight with Vueling Airlines. The Halifax declined the payment twice and as it was the last available seat on the plane I made the payment with my Santander card.

Three days later the Halifax took the two declined payments from my account.
I notified Vueling and I put the Halifax payments in dispute on the same day the payments had gone out.

After months of sending many emails and making numerous phone calls and loads of efforts to get my money back. I still have not been able to do so.

I was repaid in July but then without any notification or me giving any kind of permission the money was re debited from my account in October.

Is this legal or is it a scam?

Comments

• As usual, it's not a scam.

If money has been taken in error, dispute it.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,320
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 December 2023 at 4:46PM
    When you say you were repaid, was that via a chargeback?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,709
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 December 2023 at 1:55PM
    As this was a security check & you get a text to confirm is genuine of not, did you say it was?
    If so then retailer can place again, if their systems allow.
    But I have also seen retailers force declined transaction through later.

Who repaid you?

This would fall under card regulations, not a legal law.

Life in the slow lane
  • Have you opened an official complaint?
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • As this was a security check & you get a text to confirm is genuine of not, did you say it was?

Who repaid you?

Thanks for trying to help. The Halifax repaid me. I did not receive a text checking when the payment was declined. How do I find out what the debit card regulations say?
  • Dear All thanks for trying to help

I used a debit card. I put the payment into dispute right away with the Halifax. I have opened an official complaint with both companies.

Halifax now say I am out of time. 

Vueling keep saying different things to the Halifax. They say to me I only booked one flight but they say to the Halifax I booked 3 and even thought 2 were in my own name. 
    The payments had the Dispute number and a TRF (transfer) next to so I do not think it was a charge back .
    I tried to look online for regulations on Halifax debit card but could find nothing that would help...Any advice welcome on how to find these.

I was lucky that I keep funds in the account to pay my tax as I am a sole trader but this is due now ...so I am really stuck cos I am now without over £400 plus
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,971
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 December 2023 at 7:51PM
    I used a debit card. I put the payment into dispute right away with the Halifax. I have opened an official complaint with both companies.

Halifax now say I am out of time.
    Out of time for what?

If that relates to chargeback then if this was initiated in May and the provisional July refund reversed in October, then that's the end of the chargeback process, and you don't get a second bite of the cherry via the card company, and have to pursue via the merchant or the courts, or escalate to the ombudsman.

If they're asserting that it's too late to complain, that doesn't stack up, as that can be logged for six years!
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,709
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As this was a security check & you get a text to confirm is genuine of not, did you say it was?

Who repaid you?

Thanks for trying to help. The Halifax repaid me. I did not receive a text checking when the payment was declined. How do I find out what the debit card regulations say?
    You don't.
    Unless you get a job in the right dept at a bank.
    Life in the slow lane
  • I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Dear ArbitraryRandom
    Thanks for posting the link...does it mean what I understood to mean that if a payment is first declined it should not then be made at a later stage?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback