Plasterboard thermal bridging

2»

Comments

• piperm87
    piperm87 Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Its brick wall and i know. Heinsight. If id of known what i know now i would of 100% requested the insulation board 

There are Signs cavity has been insulated as theres filled drill holes in the coarse all around the house but im not sure its a very good job. 
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Use the camera on the brickwork outside to see where you are losing heat in the wall. Red spots will show any voids in the CWI.
  • piperm87
    I have tried that and the only place so far where I've seen hot spots is under our front window which has a type 22 radiator on the inside of. . The rest of the house doesn't look too bad from the outside. .  
  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    piperm87 said:
    Had our bedroom walls plasterboarded and skimmed over past few years and now the rooms get cold very quickly. Ive borrowed a thermal camera and im getting alot of coldness and thermal bridging on external walls as per photo

Is there anything i can do in the shirt term to help the walls keep warm during the cold snaps? Its making the rooms very hard to heat up and what heat does build up is getting pulled out by the walls. 
    Hi @PiperM87 hope you get to the bottom of the issue.

I am hoping to have a view of our house and try to see where we may be losing a lot of energy before reviewing routes to resolve, can you share the details of the device you used to survey please?
    Mortgage: £200,000 (Sep 2021)                                      Initial MF date: Sep 2031 

Int Rate:
    1.19% fixed until Nov 2026 (8.5% follow on rate?)
    Cap+Int Repaid: £65100 (32%)  £80,704 (40%) £82468 (40.48%)£89507 (43%) £91267 (44.7%) £98,309 (48.02%)

Target MF date: Nov 2026  Current MF date: Dec 2029,  Nov 2029, Apr 2029, May 2029                                    
    Target Int Saving: £25,561 Current Int Saved: £12,350,   £13,421,  £16,991, £17,989, £18,699, £20,495

Overpayments suspended and surplus cash currently being diverted to high interest savings.
  • Evening

It's a TopDon tc001 thermal imaging camera that fits into the charger port on your phone. I got it off ebay after reading decent reviews.  They do them for android and iphones. Ive also used the flir one camera which is the same set up and that was good too but cost more 
  • piperm87
    Quick update...

Gota few photos of rear of house this morning whilst its cold and heating is on. . 

First photo is of rear end of house and second photo is on one side. Not best due to tight angles. 

• piperm87
    And photos of the front. 

Im expecting heat loss under the main bedroom bay window theres a radiator on inside and its a old old timber paneled front with no insulation but thats going to be ripped out and replaced next year.  Got photo of same side house but from front also

• ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 December 2023 at 10:51PM
    Difficult reviewing the images, as the photos should always be taken at right angles to that being studied. Any sun or reflections from windows will distort information, as will ground temperature being too cold.

However, does look like increased heat loss in the wall area circled below, at first floor level. Could be an area where the cavity wall insulation wasn't installed properly, or has dropped since.

• piperm87
    Yeah that corner gets ridiculous cold inside the house. We have fitted wardrobes on that wall with a 8inch or so gap for the curtains and it can drop as low as 11 degree in that corner when we have freezes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback