In my 60s and wondering whether to repay student loan

Options
I know Martin Lewis says ignore the interest on a student loan but seeing it increase over time is quite stressful especially when you have been brought up to pay debt.

I earn under the repayment threshold of  ££27,295 and so far I have only made repayments when I got backdated salary. 

As the cut off for postgraduate courses is 60 years old ; I'm wondering whether to save the money and pay for an MA course and just leave the student loan as it is. 

Comments

• spendthrift33
    Options
    I, too, am in my 60's and currently enjoying studying History with the OU. I qualified for a student loan and took it.  I considered whether or not I'd worry about the loan and accruing interest as I, like you, come from the 'no debts' brigade.

But then I thought about all the tax and NI I've paid HM's Treasury over the last 47 years of being PAYE and decided that were I to ever get into the post 27k bracket then that'll be the time for me to start worrying.

I say, go for your MA . . . I hope you have fun with it!
  • freeasabird
    Options
    Thank you Spendthrift33. I did not think about all the tax I paid and the MA means I can improve my circumstances and even at my age earn more money and pay contributions at a time when some people are lucky enough to retire.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I, too, am in my 60's and currently enjoying studying History with the OU. I qualified for a student loan and took it.  I considered whether or not I'd worry about the loan and accruing interest as I, like you, come from the 'no debts' brigade.

But then I thought about all the tax and NI I've paid HM's Treasury over the last 47 years of being PAYE and decided that were I to ever get into the post 27k bracket then that'll be the time for me to start worrying.

I say, go for your MA . . . I hope you have fun with it!
    Hi sorry to jump on. 

I am looking at doing the History degree. How are you finding it. I am concerned about funding and having the debt over my head for 40 years so when I am in my 70s it will be wiped off. 

Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business