Buyer Fraud

Options
Hi all!

I don’t know what is going on these days with eBay but I have a buyer who is attempting to scam me.

I have a sold a steelbook/metal case recently and upon delivery buyer messaged to say the item is damaged. The metal case was seriously dented which seemed a bit odd considering how I pack my items. 

On my original case there was a specific scratch to one corner which I could not see in the photos buyer has sent so I thought it’s maybe the lighting. I asked a photo of this corner specifically to see the mark and the buyer sent one that looked similar so I decided to accept a return and get my item back.

Received the item today and the scratch doesn’t match the one I had on my steelbook case. The scratch is clearly starting in a different spot, which means the buyer has deliberately tried to replicate it.

I messaged buyer to tell them this is not same item and that I will report them to eBay and police for fraud.

How should I proceed next?

I will supply photos later for all of you to see as well.

Comments

• BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would contact eBay as well and let them know. Have you already refunded the cost of the item?

Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • MR1988
    MR1988 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 November 2023 at 3:24PM
    Options
    I have not refunded yet. I haven’t had time to deal with it as Im working at the moment but I thought to put it out there for advice on this forum meanwhile. Should I call eBay or is there an option to go through on their website?

See photos below side by side. I mean it is pretty clear the left scratch (original) starts from the middle of the light blue shape while the returned item scratch starts a bit more to the left side of the light blue shape. Their length is also not identical. My only concern is that eBay will ignore it because it is a very peculiar sign to compare by.
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2023 at 2:55PM
    Options
    Completely different to each user but!

I think you have to log in. they will send you a telephone number and pin .

"Need to speak to someone? If you can't find the answer in any of our help sections, visit Contact Us and choose a top issue or ask a question. Click 'call' and we'll give you a direct phone number and a PIN number."
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • zackary71
    Options
    Sorry to hear. eBay should back you up, as you have the evidence. I had something awhile back, where a Buyer had asked for loads of extra pictures for a label on an outer box along with specific questions about whether it was removable and if it would leave a mark. On receipt, they immediately opened up an Item Not As Described claim. I reluctantly agreed to the return, and when it arrived back, the label was missing. I had seen the Buyer sold similar items, so was likely specifically after the label. eBay refunded me in this instance, and I resold it. Good luck.
  • jlfrs01
    jlfrs01 Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is a different scratch for sure but oddly, the wear marks to the edge of the case look to be identical
  • MR1988
    Options
    jlfrs01 said:
    It is a different scratch for sure but oddly, the wear marks to the edge of the case look to be identical
     That is not wear, it’s the design of the case that looks so.
  • Anonymous868
    Anonymous868 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 December 2023 at 3:52PM
    Options
    The issue (impossibility) that you will have is PROVING that you actually posted the one you are claiming you did - Not the one the buyer claims you sent.

Ebay will always trust a buyer over a seller, and so whatever the buyer says you posted is what will be deemed as having being sent by you.

You simply ''having a photo in your possession'' of a different item means/proves literally zero.
  • JetpackVelociraptor
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief eBay do not always side with the buyer. Sellers are held to a higher standard and the assumption is initially that the buyer, not the seller, is in the right, but as a seller you absolutely can prove otherwise. You need to be persistent is all.
    The seller having photos of an item that doesn't look the same as the one returned is regarded as circumstantial evidence in their favour. The seller not being in the habit of making spurious claims against buyers is also in their favour. If the seller also has photos on the original listing of the original item with the distinctive scratch on it, and the  buyer sent a photo themselves with a scratch in a slightly different shape/location, should offer sufficient proof for eBay to take their side in the dispute. I feel like I say this a lot on this forum, but if the buyer is intentionally trying to scam a seller the seller absolutely can report it via the "Action Fraud" website in order to obtain a crime reference number. Most likely the police will do nothing, but eBay will take the fact that it's been reported as a crime into account in the sellers' favour as well.
    But given this thread is a month old whatever the resolution was has probably already happened. I hope the seller got a positive response, and that they know they can appeal if they didn't.
  • MR1988
    Options
    Hi all, sorry for not giving an update. Had family for the whole month and got caught up with life chores.

I called eBay and they didn’t argue my concern. But they ended up refunding the buyer themselves which is still unfair because they got away with it. 

I did get to keep my money but it’s disappointing that people like these exist and are allowed to keep screwing other sellers over.
  • ThisIsWeird
    Options
    It's a tough one for eBay to resolve 'correctly' - far too involving - so this is their not-unreasonable simple solution.
    Yes, galling, but hey.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure