Itron Electricity Meter Issue (EM425-UK2)

Options
I want to share some information about this meter, maybe it will help others, or maybe someone will correct me.

In a nutshell I have one of these installed in June 2022 by Shell Energy.   It never worked, it didn't join the network and the energy display never connected.    I complained a lot and was given the run around, Shell's exit from the market is no loss.  Eventually an engineer came and re-initialised.   This was also the first indication I had that the problem might be systemic.   He said 9 out of 10 meter replacements he was doing were Itron's.    The reset didn't work and about 6 months later it was replaced with another Itron,   This one seemed OK, Shell could read it and the inhouse display connected.

I got Solar fitted and moved to Octopus.   This requires half hourly readings.   This works when they ask for the readings but does not push the readings to them.  This stalled my outgoing Flux contract. Octopus has a great, if ineffective customer service.  I started ringing them every day, finally I got some straight answers.

1) An Itron update stopped connectivity, mine must have been delivered with defective firmware and presumably this was why the SMS guy was doing 9 out 10 Itron replacements, what a waste!

2) The firmware update that fixed this was presumably in my replacements, but it broke the half hourly push, it's been like this for at least 8 months.

It's no wonder the smart meter rollout has been such a shambles!

My question(s) to Octopus.

Are you still deploying these broken meters?   Yes.
When are you expecting fixed firmware?  We don't know.
Is this just me?   No all Itron meters of this type are impacted.

If your Itron isn't sending half hourly readings - now you know why.   Alternatively is yours working OK?

If you are getting a meter, confirm manufacturer, if they say Itron, you would wise not to proceed.   If you have an Itron that your energy provider has conceded as being broken, don't replace with another Itron.

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Octopus install Kaifa MA120 meters, currently.
  • ayshfm1
    Options
    I was given the strong impression that Octopus don't install any meters.  They subcontract it out and that subcontractor has discretion over the meter that is installed.

I asked can I just have my meter swapped out?  Very reluctant for various reasons, the final one being they couldn't promise I would not get another Itron.
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They do subcontract the work, as do most suppliers, but I don't think the contractor has discretion over what type of meter is fitted.
  • ForestPCT
    ForestPCT Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 March at 12:37PM
    Options
    I had an Itron EM425-UK2 fitted when I was a Shell Energy customer and, to date, it's worked OK. I use the Hugo smart app on my phone which provides a continuous display of my electricity and gas usage based on the 1/2 hourly readings from the meter.  Very useful.  I switched to EDF for a very short period and am now with Octopus (on their Flux tariff) after having recently installed solar panels and battery.  Each supplier switch has gone OK and so far no issues with the meter.  Octopus have today confirmed the export component of my tariff has gone live so assume they are happy with the operation of the meter.  As part of the solar/battery install, a second meter (an EMlite ECA2.nz) was installed.  Octopus have asked me to provide a photo of it as part of the export switch on so assume it is required as part of the micro generation metering.
  • MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Smets 2 kaifa MA120 fitted by Octopus replacing our smets 1 from 2015.

Octopus will replace yours if you ask nicely and get it booked in.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ayshfm1 said:
    I got Solar fitted and moved to Octopus.   This requires half hourly readings.   This works when they ask for the readings but does not push the readings to them.
    There may well be a fault with the meter and its firmware, but the way it was described to you is not correct either, there is no 'push', and certainly no 'half hourly push'.
    The supplier requests the half-hour usage figures  via the DCC, typically once every 24 hours, the comms hub (usually mounted on top of the electricity meter) responds to the request with a file containing the 48 half-hourly readings which the DCC passes on to the supplier.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback