Cost of living payment

My assessment date is 20th to 21st  of each month so 18th July to 20th of August was nil but I got a payment from 20th August to 21st sept so does this mean I’m not entitled as on website it said entire period I’m confused as dates between 

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,188
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 November 2023 at 9:25PM
    melanie17 said:
    My assessment date is 20th to 21st  of each month so 18th July to 20th of August was nil but I got a payment from 20th August to 21st sept so does this mean I’m not entitled as on website it said entire period I’m confused as dates between 
    "Universal Credit

You are eligible for the Cost of Living Payment of £300 if you were entitled to a payment (or later found to be entitled to a payment) of Universal Credit for an assessment period that ended in the period 18 August 2023 to 17 September 2023."

Unfortunately no, you're not eligible because your July/August AP is the one that ended within the qualifying dates.

Edit: whoops, forgot the source https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment#low-income-benefits-and-tax-credits-cost-of-living-payment-eligibility

• Ok it was bit that said entire assessment period not ending on link 
  • Those  assessment periods are incorrect, I'm guessing you mean 21st-20th
    If so, then the CoL entitlement would be based on the period that ended on the 20th August.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
    • Universal Credit – unless your Universal Credit was reduced to £0 for the entire period between 18 August 2023 and 17 September 2023. Sometimes called a 'nil award', this can happen where you or your partner's earnings or savings go up, you start getting another benefit or you get paid more than one set of wages within that period 
  • melanie17 said:
    • Universal Credit – unless your Universal Credit was reduced to £0 for the entire period between 18 August 2023 and 17 September 2023. Sometimes called a 'nil award', this can happen where you or your partner's earnings or savings go up, you start getting another benefit or you get paid more than one set of wages within that period 
    Where is this from?  It's certainly confusing using that wording 'entire period'.  Universal Credit payments are calculated based on the circumstances at the end of a person's assessment period so a whole/partial period is irrelevant.

The government page says on that subject "You will not be eligible for the Cost of Living Payment if your benefit is reduced to £0 for the qualifying period. This is sometimes called a ‘nil award’.

Reasons your benefit may be reduced to £0 include: … "

• sheramber said:
    I see, thanks.

For the OP, the actual government rules override any unclear / inaccurate explanations.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback