Provision for child

Options
Hello our child turns 18 shortly & has autism & mental health issues. We would like to set up a discretionary trust (having been advised she's unlikely to meet the strict criteria for a vulnerable person's trust?) I have questions pls regarding our house: 1.) CAN we put the house in the trust whilst we are alive / live in it 2.) If so once in the trust can we move house / sell it or not (e.g if we need a bungalow / sheltered flat) 3.) Who actually owns the house if it goes in trust ? Thank you 
Our hope is the house will be sold to buy our child a small manageable flat & avoid risk of homelessness, insecure lets, dependence upon social housing (huge waiting lists etc). I don't have any issue with tax, inheritance tax, care costs etc - that isn't our objective - we primarily want somewhere for our child to live safely after we are gone !  (No family)    

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Options
    This is not an easy thing to advise on, I really think you need professional advice. I don’t think it would be wise to put your house in trust now simply too many complications especially for a discretionary trust, but you could create a trust on each of your deaths. I would advise consulting a STEP solicitor regarding wills and trusts.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As above, you could write your wills ( not you personally but a solicitor) , so that any money you wanted to leave to him, would be held in a discretionary trust. The trust can be set up after you have both died, rather than doing it now.
    You will need to decide on who would be the trustees of the trust .
  • Newly_retired
    Options
    Ask about a Vulnerable Person’s trust, which has different rules,
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ask about a Vulnerable Person’s trust, which has different rules,
    The OP said.

We would like to set up a discretionary trust (having been advised she's unlikely to meet the strict criteria for a vulnerable person's trust?)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback