Simple internet / wifi radio recommendation?

Options
Can anyone recommend please, a VERY simple and easy to use internet radio for our use in the kitchen?

Ideally, battery operated / re-chargeable so that it retains it's wifi connection and scanned stations but not plugged into the mains 24/7.

Sounds quality and looks are somewhat secondary desires.

I'd rather not use my phone plus speaker as that seems to be rather complicated, particularly with fingers covered in flour etc.

Thanks

Comments

• armith
    armith Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was wondering this exact same thing. I've got an old Pure Sensia internet radio - but it's not that simple to use. I was thinking "Google Nest Hub" - it doesn't matter if you unplug it because you simply tell it to play whatever you want it to play - "OK Google, play BBC Radio Shetland"?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have a couple of Pure radios and get on with them quite well. You have to buy the battery separately (at vast expense compared to initial cost of the radio) but mine moves seamlessly from plugged in to battery use. However, AVOID anything which has a rubbery finish because these go nasty and sticky over time. 

We do tend to stick to Radio 4, however. 

But I have never used anything voice activated, so I can see the advantages of that! 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Options
    Pure elan connect takes AA's and the connect+ variety has internet radio. Though if you are going to have floury hands, maybe voice controlled is better (you could do this with your phone + speaker option).
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,425 Forumite
    Options
    Google nest or Echo dot. The older ones can be picked up second hand for less than £10. Plug in or unplug as desired, or a rechargeable base is available if that helps.
  • Roger-D
    Roger-D Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, very useful.
    The wife doesn't want any of the voice-activated ones unfortunately. She says that it is listening in all of the time. Although I personally,think that that would sort what we wanted to a tee.

I'll have a look at the Pure ones although from experience, they do tend to be a bit pricey. We currently have a wood-effect DAB one in the kitchen. It's nice and would suit our needs, if it received a decent signal. Also, we like to turn off at the mains and so at every start-up, have to go through the whole 'scan', search and select process which seems to take an age.
  • Roger-D
    Roger-D Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think this is just a speaker from what I've read? ie does not have radio function built in. Or am I wrong?
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    Roger-D said:
    I think this is just a speaker from what I've read? ie does not have radio function built in. Or am I wrong?
    It's just a speaker (albeit a good one), there is a "smart" version too for chatting to but no radio functionality.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Roger-D said:
    It's just a speaker (albeit a good one), there is a "smart" version too for chatting to but no radio functionality.

But, with the Sonos app on any smart phone (we use an old I Phone in aeroplane mode), you can control it to play any internet radio as well as BBC Sounds, Spotify etc
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    J_B said:
    Roger-D said:

But, with the Sonos app on any smart phone (we use an old I Phone in aeroplane mode), you can control it to play any internet radio as well as BBC Sounds, Spotify etc
    Is that not true of any bluetooth speaker? I use an old rubbish soundbar and an old Moto mobile as a "radio", streaming BBC Sounds mainly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback