Gas smart meter enigma. Why is it not deducting my balance or seeing any usage?

I returned from a month-long holiday a few days ago and my smart meter is behaving strangely... Before I left, I had turned off my boiler (obviously) and had a Pay As You Go balance of a £100ish. No gas was used while I was away, so it was way more than sufficient.

When I returned, I had a balance of £80ish - 0kWh of usage, just the standing charge being cut every day. Great.

But I've been using gas heating/hot water for a few days now. Yet the usage is showing 0kWh every day and the balance is still in mid £70s (both on my in-home display and the actual gas meter).

I also spotted a message appearing on the display saying "Gas disablement suspended", but only briefly.

Any ideas what's going on? I was on hold with the energy company for almost an hour before I gave up this morning. What would happen if I don't hear from me about this soon enough?

Comments

• nina_ said:

What would happen if I don't hear from me about this soon enough?

Correction - What would happen if they* don't hear from me about this soon enough?
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,768
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Forget the portable toy, look at the smart meter itself which is on the wall or the floor.
  • Gerry1 said:
    Forget the portable toy, look at the smart meter itself which is on the wall or the floor.
    The OP has stated the meter is saying the same as the IHD.
  • That's right. Any idea why "Gas disablement suspended" may have popped up on my IHD though? I googled what it means - something to do with "friendly credit mode", but I've always had a massive balance on there...
  • Update, and more confusion - I finally got through to the company. The agent confirmed I have a balance of £70ish and, for some reason, asked me to turn off the IHD for 24 hours and turn it back on. I did. It's still not showing any usage or charging me...
  • nina_ said:
    Update, and more confusion - I finally got through to the company. The agent confirmed I have a balance of £70ish and, for some reason, asked me to turn off the IHD for 24 hours and turn it back on. I did. It's still not showing any usage or charging me...
    That sounds like a “we don’t know what the problem is so will try to sound like we are doing something constructive “ response to me - presumably you were as clear with them as you have been with us that it was the meter not showing deducted credit, so asking you to unplug the IHD doesn’t seem to address the issue at all as that would not have any impact on the meter’s behaviour so far as I know. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills