Winter Fuel Payments on the way ...

dealyboy
dealyboy Posts: 1,687
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
Forumite
Received my £500 WFP today as a pensioner.

I am grateful to all who have contributed to this by way of their taxes, it will be needed this year.

Comments

• dealyboy said:

I am grateful to all who have contributed to this by way of their taxes, it will be needed this year.
    I just hope it's still a thing in 25-30 years (they keep extending the pensionable age) when I get there lol.

They call it the golden generation don't they for pensioners, they being non-pensioners and some well off pensioners getting all this extra money for flights to Alicante lol. 
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,426
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 November 2023 at 7:46AM
    dealyboy said:

OH will be getting his first lot of this soon hopefully - a small percentage back of the tax we have paid to HMRC this year ... and it is tax freee!!!
  • spot1034
    spot1034 Posts: 790
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I become a pensioner next Tuesday, however I will miss out on the winter fuel payment this year as the qualification date is age 66 before September 25th. I'm still not sure whether I will qualify for the £10 Christmas bonus this year. I think it's payable next week so I'm just waiting to see if it appears in my account!
  • pfpf
    pfpf Posts: 4,917
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    spot1034 said:
    I'm still not sure whether I will qualify for the £10 Christmas bonus this year. I think it's payable next week so I'm just waiting to see if it appears in my account!
    if it does, don't spend it all at once.
  • The qualification date for me was the day BEFORE my birthday.  However I had been due to be born on that date back in 1950s.  But I was born at 00:45 next morning & so did not get the WFA for another 12 months thanks to being 45 minutes late!  I told my mother she had cost me £200 because she didn't push hard enough!

The money is not in my account yet, but it will be very gratefully received.  I usually pass the £10 bonus onto charity.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,567
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 27 November 2023 at 10:02AM
    My husband got his  last week, now stashed in savings account until we need it to top up our direct debits.   
    This is only our first full year with our new boiler, new control system, and new supplier, so still uncertain as to how much gas we will use.

Mine has yet to arrive.
  • SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 735
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 November 2023 at 11:27AM
    My £500, ( £300 WFP and £200 cost of living help )   has been recieved this morning and was transferred into the Santander savings account . Could be the last if reports of Sunak considering scrapping these allowances except for the poorest pensioners .
    They won t be in power by this time next year of course but I could see the Labour government doing the same thing. 
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,687
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    @SAC2334 said:
    My £500, ( £300 WFP and £200 cost of living help )   has been recieved this morning and was transferred into the Santander savings account . Could be the last if reports of Sunak considering scrapping these allowances except for the poorest pensioners .
    They won t be in power by this time next year of course but I could see the Labour government doing the same thing. 
    ... equals those receiving Pension Credit no doubt.
  • A decision about winter fuel payments would have to be made earlier in the year, so don't give up on it yet. It's hard to imagine the government abandoning it with an election pending. If it's in the spring it could well be a bribe in either or both party's manifestos and if the election isn't until October/November it will almost certainly be too late to stop it at least for next year.
  • SAC2334 said:
    I wouldn't be too complacent about that.  The last two by election defeats for the government, despite all the rubbish going on (including one MP being absent from the constituency for years, then spending a year throwing tantrums instead of actually leaving to allow the by election) were very close - not even 2,000 votes between the winning candidates and the runners up.

Anything's possible - including people voting to keep this government in.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback