Tracked 48 postage - Buying via ebay or RM?

I've not used Ebay for a while and have just sold an item. I want to send it Tracked 48 with proof of collection/drop off and the delivery office is miles away, barely open and impossible to park at so I'm choosing between collection and drop off at a local post office. 

When I look at the options on the Royal Mail website it shows a 16p surcharge for drop off at a Post Office, but when doing the postage via ebay it doesn't mention anything about that so I'm worried that if I choose drop off via ebay it won't then be accepted at the Post Office. I've tried looking at the terms and conditions but it doesn't give any details about where you can drop off. 

Has anyone used the ebay postage to drop off at a PO and it's been ok? I'm assuming it's better to pay via Ebay as it will update the buyer with tracking details automatically?

Also ... I'm now looking at the RM ebay postage terms and conditions and it says labels will expire at 11:59 the working day after being paid for. Presumably this isn't the case with collections where the collection date is a couple of days in the future? (would still be within 2 working days which is stated in my listing)

Any assistance gratefully received. 

Comments

• steviebabes
    steviebabes Posts: 2,023
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I buy direct from RM click and drop as I like to add the tracking once the postie collects. When buying the postage from ebay the item is marked as dispatched from the moment you pay for the label. On the one occasion when the postie failed to collect I took it to the PO with no issues. I think the 16p surcharge goes to RM not the PO, the labels are identical apart from the postage paid bit at the bottom of the label and I cut that off.
  • I buy via eBay all the time - Tracked 24 and 48 - then I drop off to my local Post Office. No issues at all. They scan, give me an email receipt, and off I go!
  • steviebabes
    steviebabes Posts: 2,023
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I buy via eBay all the time - Tracked 24 and 48 - then I drop off to my local Post Office. No issues at all. They scan, give me an email receipt, and off I go!
    Who gives you an email receipt? The PO, RM or Ebay? When the postie collects you get an update email to say the item has been collected, this is your proof of posting.
  • SoozyJ22
    SoozyJ22 Posts: 3,239
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 27 November 2023 at 2:54PM
    Thanks for the responses. I decided to pay via ebay since I don't have the buyer's email address or phone number to enter into RM for them to provide him updates. Paid, printed the label and stuck on then dropped off at my local small PO with no problems at all and the RM tracking website is updated accordingly. 
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,829
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I have printed RM48 from eBay and dropped them off at the local PO where they issue me a receipt, and so far no one has tried to charge me extra . Obviously now if I do it tomorrow I’ll be charged , but I’ll let you know. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback