Lenovo PC dead after 15 months- advice

cam101
cam101 Posts: 174
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 26 November 2023 at 2:55PM in Consumer rights
In August 2022 I bought a Lenovo PC from Very.
I use the PC on average once a week, I don’t work from home and only use it for hobbies, emails etc. Fast forward to November 2023, I was using it and it just went ‘ping’ (like the sound a bulb makes when it blows) and turned off. Now that’s it, kaput. We’ve tried changing the fuse, nothing.
Obviously this isn’t reasonable, for such an expensive item that has been used so little to just stop working. But I don’t really know how to approach the situation in terms of my consumer rights and whether I go to Very or Lenovo, and what is a reasonable expectation on my part. 
Advice would be welcomed before I proceed with trying to sort the issue out! Thanks guys
*edited to add the 12 month warranty expired end of August 2023*

Comments

• the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,319
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 26 November 2023 at 2:22PM
    Consumer rights are with Very OP.

If the PC is still in warranty with Lenovo that may be the easiest option to start (if out of warranty then Lenovo isn't obligated to do anything really, although they'll probably inspect/repair for a fee).

If you approach Very they may request you get something show the PC is "faulty", having a PC repair place inspect the machine and write down what the problem is is a good start.

You have to show the goods had an issue at the time of delivery, generally speaking goods have to be durable so with something like this it doesn't have to have been noticeably present at the time but rather there was something there that has just become apparent, such as a component that wasn't manufactured to a high enough standard to last long enough. 

The more information you get out of an inspection the better.

Very may offer a refund minus use (generally time owned vs lifespan), if the repair costs were feasible you could seek that amount as a price reduction. (Very may also offer to repair or replace it themselves). 
  • Hi,
    cam101 said:
    We’ve tried changing the fuse, nothing.
    was this the fuse in the plug or did you get into the guts of the machine, if so you may have voided warranty.
    What warranty did you get on purchase?
  • cam101
    Forumite
    It was only the plug fuse, we’re not delving into the machine as wouldn’t know what I was looking for. It was a standard year long warranty so that expired end of August.
  • Go back to Very and explain the situation. It may be that there is a trip in something like the power supply and it requires turning on and off again. But they can talk you through that, as well as diagnose a fault. 

As a word of caution - computers are like cars in that they have multiple components. Thus your expectations should be adjusted as so. Replacing a component may be possible and more likely but you likely won’t get a whole computer replacement. 

As lunatic said - they may ask you to show the fault was inherent. But they may not - I would go in with a more open mind (rather than accusing them of giving you a faulty product etc). They may be willing to help just because they sold the product to you. 

Alternatively, you can try a computer shop if there’s any near you. They may be able to examine the device and repair it for cheap, but this may void future consumer right claims.
  • Did you have the power cord plugged into a surge protector?

Sounds as though the PSU went “pop”
  • cam101
    Forumite
    Did you have the power cord plugged into a surge protector?

Sounds as though the PSU went “pop”
    It was just plugged into the wall
  • cam101
    Forumite
    Is it fair that I expect them to do *something* about it? I.e repair or replace parts? I’m basing this expectation on the fact it hasn’t lasted for a reasonable amount of time. I’m anticipating they’ll try to pass the buck or wash their hands of me as it’s over a year old. I’m hesitant to take it to a PC shop for an opinion, as this will obviously come with a cost.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,005
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    cam101 said:
    Is it fair that I expect them to do *something* about it? I.e repair or replace parts? I’m basing this expectation on the fact it hasn’t lasted for a reasonable amount of time. I’m anticipating they’ll try to pass the buck or wash their hands of me as it’s over a year old. I’m hesitant to take it to a PC shop for an opinion, as this will obviously come with a cost.
    The warranty is irrelevant. You're claiming under Consumer Rights Act 2015, and as it is over 6 months old, then it is up to you to prove it has failed due to an inherent fault and not mis-use. 

Your consumer rights are with VERY. Nothing to do with Lenovo. Be persistent, speak to them, but be prepared to take it to a PC expert for a report. If the report states it failed due to an inherent fault then VERY have to pay for the report too, and it is then their choice whether to refund, replace or repair. If it's a refund, they can deduct the usage you've already had. Most desktop PCs last perhaps 6 to 8 years?!?! (or at least mine do and they're used every day!) So you'd expect a refund less perhaps 15% ish??
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm guessing that it is unlikely to be the power supply because otherwise the laptop would turn on on battery
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,698
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    km1500 said:
    I'm guessing that it is unlikely to be the power supply because otherwise the laptop would turn on on battery
    The OP just describes it as a PC.

Using the same logic as you, the rest of us are guessing that it is unlikely to be a laptop
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback