Furniture disposal / removal

Options
Hello

I wondered whether anyone has advice on costs for furniture removal /disposal in London. 

I checked fantastic services who overcharge a bit usually and they quoted £233 for:

1 3 seater sofa 
1 armchair 
1 2 seater sofa 
1 single bed with mattress 

Can this be done cheaper? 

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Probably, but if it is too cheap, the items may be fly tipped (which you are responsible for) - do fantastic services have the right disposal licences?
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Check out your local Council offerings first (or have you already)?  e.g. Camden https://www.camden.gov.uk/bulky-waste-collection

If the items are in good condition and have fire labels on then some Charities will collect.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yep, just pop them on Freecycle and someone will collect then for free. The sofas can be a bit of a headache, but our loval British Heart Foundation was happy to collect 3-seater that was a part of a set (3 seater, armchair, and stool). 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Local Facebook groups are good for getting rid of furniture for free. Or put them on eBay for 99p.

alternatively my council does bulky pick ups for something like £65 for upto 3  items.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback