Unregistered gas and electricity meters - how and whom to pay?

caldi9
caldi9 Posts: 209
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hey, moved into an apartment and called up the gas and electricity provider the landlord has stated. Turns out that’s not the provider and both gas and electricity have been unregistered. How do I pay the pas gas and electricity usage since the move in now? Can I pick any provider? Thanks

Comments

• Sounds a bit odd. Normally the supply will be with whoever the last tenant/owner was with. When you move in you have to register with that (deemed) supplier but you are then free to move to any other supplier. I've not heard of an unregistered supply.

Have you been given the MPAN/MPRN references for the supplies? Have you tried contacting the DNO (distribution network operator) to see who the deemed supplier is?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,973
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    www.findmysupplier.energy
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • caldi9
    Forumite
    Robin9 said:
    www.findmysupplier.energy
    Called them and they in rare cases supply is unregistered. 
  • caldi9
    Forumite
    Sounds a bit odd. Normally the supply will be with whoever the last tenant/owner was with. When you move in you have to register with that (deemed) supplier but you are then free to move to any other supplier. I've not heard of an unregistered supply.

Have you been given the MPAN/MPRN references for the supplies? Have you tried contacting the DNO (distribution network operator) to see who the deemed supplier is?
    Called find my supplier and they said it’s unregistered. I have the meter readings and serial numbers. 
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,880
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 November 2023 at 11:51AM
    The findmysuppplier link is a webpage where you put your address details in and it tells you who your gas supply is with - it’s not someone you would have phoned up as far as I can think. It may of course be that it either does recognise your address, or that it tells you your address has no supply! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • caldi9
    Forumite
    The findmysuppplier link is a webpage where you put your address details in and it tells you who your gas supply is with - it’s not someone you would have phoned up as far as I can think. It may of course be that it either does recognise your address, or that it tells you your address has no supply! 
    You have to call them if the address isn’t listed on the website.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,665
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    caldi9 said:
    Hey, moved into an apartment and called up the gas and electricity provider the landlord has stated. Turns out that’s not the provider and both gas and electricity have been unregistered. How do I pay the pas gas and electricity usage since the move in now? Can I pick any provider? Thanks
    You'll need to get your supply registered before you can choose a supplier.
    Call your network operators. Put your postcode into this website and it should give you contact details.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,568
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My granddaughter had this with her gas meter and contacted Octopus and they registered the supply.
  • I hope this is a new apartment and not one with previous tenants. 
    Reed
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,568
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 November 2023 at 8:34PM
    I hope this is a new apartment and not one with previous tenants. 
    In my granddaughter's case it was an imperial meter with 2K+hcf on it !  They just accepted the meter read supplied, with no history they could do little else.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback