Octopus energy price tariff fix ?

I do apologise, if this has been asked before I’m with octopus energy having been moved from bulb.

With the announcements of energy prices Is it a good idea to go to a fixed rate tariff?

I do apologise again I am dyslexic and autistic and a lot of this goes over my head.

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,193
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 24 November 2023 at 9:34AM
    I just had a look at the 12 month fixed and standard variable rates for my region (East)  and the answer is rather dependant on how you heat your house.

If you use gas for heating then I think it worth doing as the fixed rate is already lower than the standard variable rate which will be increasing in Jan (6.68p against 6.78p). 

The standard rate for electricity is around 3p per kWh cheaper on the standard rate now and this difference will reduce but will still be around 1p come January, so if you are all electric without storage heaters then I would stay on the variable rate.

If you are all electric, have storage heaters and are on Economy 7 then it looks like you will be slightly better off fixing now. 

There will be another cap adjustment in the summer but we can only guess what that will be. Hope that helps.
  • TheElectricCow
    TheElectricCow Posts: 442
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 November 2023 at 9:25AM
    It really depends on how much risk you’re willing to take with energy prices.

No one knows for sure what the prices will be in 6-12 months time, or what changes may happen in the world before then.

A fix is good if you can afford the rates being offered and value knowing what your costs will be for the next year, but there’s no guarantee it will save you any money if energy prices come down within the year (although they’re not expected to decrease by much at the moment).

What a fix will guarantee is that the price you pay won’t go up or down, so if energy prices do go up you’ll be safe from that price rise you won’t have to pay any more than the rates of the fix you sign up for. If that is something that sounds important to you then a fix may be your best option.
    Moo…
  • I just had a look at the 12 month fixed and standard variable rates for my region (East)  and the answer is rather dependant on how you heat your house.

If you use gas for heating then I think it worth doing as the fixed rate is already lower than the standard variable rate which will be increasing in Jan (6.68p against 6.78p). 

The standard rate for electricity is around 3p per kWh cheaper on the standard rate now and this difference will reduce but will still be around 1p come January, so if you are all electric without storage heaters then I would stay on the variable rate.

North West region - Gas difference virtually the same as you mention, Electricity 1.79p kWh more than current flexible rate.
  • MikeyPGT
    MikeyPGT Posts: 279
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm a low user for both gas and electricity with Octopus (average 3 - 4 Kwh a day electricity more or less year round) and very rarely above the standing charge for gas (on a payg meter).  Is it worth fixing or moving to Agile (I'm retired so can play the system on when to use electricity) - just wondering whether it is worth the hassle?
    Debt Free Wannabe by 1 March 2026 

Satisfied customer of Octopus Agile - currently saving on average 33% of standard tarrif

Deep seated hatred of Scottish Power and all who sail in her - would love to see Ofgem grow a pair and actually do something about it.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,640
    Forumite
    MikeyPGT said:
    I'm a low user for both gas and electricity with Octopus (average 3 - 4 Kwh a day electricity more or less year round) and very rarely above the standing charge for gas (on a payg meter).  Is it worth fixing or moving to Agile (I'm retired so can play the system on when to use electricity) - just wondering whether it is worth the hassle?
    3kWh on the SVT is about 80p. 3kWh on Agile could be 50p if you avoid the evening peak. So you could save 30p a day, £100 a year, ish.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • MikeyPGT
    MikeyPGT Posts: 279
    Forumite
    Sounds like a better option than a fix - will sleep on it ...
    Debt Free Wannabe by 1 March 2026 

Satisfied customer of Octopus Agile - currently saving on average 33% of standard tarrif

Deep seated hatred of Scottish Power and all who sail in her - would love to see Ofgem grow a pair and actually do something about it.
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,034
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Agile works for me. I think you need to live alone, though.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,158
    Forumite
    edited 10 December 2023 at 9:55PM
    Tracker is always an option for those who are willing to keep an eye on prices but can't reasonably avoid the peak.
  • New advertising idea

AGILE - for the single person
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,156
    Forumite
    New advertising idea

AGILE - for the single person
    Maybe that's why my hubby calls me The Energy Police
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure