Private school bursaries / entry exams

Options
My child will be going to senior school next year and we're looking at various options. I'd really like him to get a good quality education and our local high school is not very good, so I've been looking at private schools, hoping we can get a decent (80%+) bursary. Sadly there's very little information on the schools' websites, and email enquiries have not been very helpful either.

Does anyone know what is taken into consideration for bursary awards? What kind of earnings limit would you expect? I'm in Scotland if that helps.

Also, there's an entry exam, part of it is a verbal reasoning test. Are there any websites we can use to practice, or any books you'd recommend? 

Comments

• Devongardener
    Options
    Schools might vary in what criteria apply for bursaries.  There’s lots of information if you Google school bursaries and qualifying incomes, plus examples of verbal reasoning tests for school entry.

Maybe phone the schools directly if you’re not getting a response to emails.
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    You will only know if you ask the school.

If they haven't been great at email then phone up and see if you can chat to the bursar.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• DeLaSole
    DeLaSole Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 23 November 2023 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Hi silly_moo,

Firstly, good luck to your son if he wishes to try for the school and sit the exam. 

Bursary terms will be unique to the school and they really should be freely available from a member of staff in the bursary/admissions team. Two examples around us (NW England) are >£54k/£60k (no bursary support available) and <£27k/£30k (full support). If it's like the school our child got a bursary place for, evidencing finances is likely required annually and includes things beyond income (property etc.).

We found using Bond (bond11plus.co.uk) across the year before the entrance exam helped with prep. Ultimately these schools require a good level of academic performance to be shown at the exam, though applications with musical/sporting ability give a rounded view of a child's abilities. 

Best wishes. 

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,256 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is there nothing on the  website for the school you are intrested in

e.g.
    https://www.gwc.org.uk/admissions/financial-support

You should be able to get a prospectus from the school , which might give the information.

• silly_moo
    Options
    sheramber said:
    Is there nothing on the  website for the school you are intrested in

e.g.

You should be able to get a prospectus from the school , which might give the information.

No, the website is very vague, doesn't give any earnings limit etc, only that bursaries up to 100% are available. I was at the school at the open day and staff in the admissions/fees tent said I should email for more info. I asked to arrange a meeting, they said the Bursar was busy. I emailed asking for a meeting and they just quoted the website. 
  • silly_moo
    Options
    Schools might vary in what criteria apply for bursaries.  There’s lots of information if you Google school bursaries and qualifying incomes, plus examples of verbal reasoning tests for school entry.

Maybe phone the schools directly if you’re not getting a response to emails.
    They are responding to emails, but they claim there are no criteria and that each family's financial circumstances are looked at before a decision is made. That's not helpful though, I'd like to know if we've at least got a chance of bursary before paying admission fees.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    silly_moo said:
    They are responding to emails, but they claim there are no criteria and that each family's financial circumstances are looked at before a decision is made. That's not helpful though, I'd like to know if we've at least got a chance of bursary before paying admission fees.
    Are they really saying they charge a fee just to sit the entrance exam?

Surely an "admission fee" is payable on admission, i.e. if he starts, not if you go elsewhere after deciding the fees (minus any bursary offered) are too much.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,008 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sometimes the bursary conditions are linked to ability ie they may be prepared to offer a bursary if your child is musically gifted or similar. Some schools would offer scholarships with those criteria, but above that the bursary system may offer more help to those who just missed out on scholarships.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,256 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you a particular reason for choosing that school.

Maybe another one would be more forthcoming.

• DeLaSole
    DeLaSole Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 23 November 2023 at 4:46PM
    Options
    silly_moo said:
    Are they really saying they charge a fee just to sit the entrance exam?

Surely an "admission fee" is payable on admission, i.e. if he starts, not if you go elsewhere after deciding the fees (minus any bursary offered) are too much.
    The 3 nearest us all charge a fee when applying to sit the entrance exam (£40/£65/75). If offered a place, often after interview, they may then require a deposit to secure the place. Depending on circumstances, that can be £several hundred.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback