How many and what size dehumidifiers do I need?

MisterNick
MisterNick Posts: 1,238
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
We have had the screed laid in our extension and are now waiting for it to dry out so that the floor can be laid.
The screed people say it is ok for dehumidifiers as is the plaster,
The floor space is approx 4mx10m. There are two roof lights 4.5m x 1.5m and 1m x 1m. The extension opens directly onto the kitchen which is currently all open. The ceiling height is standard 2.3m
Is there a formula for calculating how many would be needed and what size.
Also, as a one off I presume it is better to hire.

Many thanks for any help

Comments

• daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,197
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can you ask the hire shop, or look on their website, I wouldn’t be surprised if specifications are given for the different dehumidifier options.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,501
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Remember it is not just the screed you are drying out but all of the new extension.Domestic dehumidifiers typically quote X amount of litres per day but rarely achieve that.
    I would think hiring suitable fans and keeping the extension ventilated is how I would approach it.
  • MisterNick
    MisterNick Posts: 1,238
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
    dcivid, - The hire shops i would go to round here are general ones and I think I would get general advice. They also have differing products which, with me not being knowledgeable on the subject, leads to confusion on my part. I am not sure how the specs translate into my requirements.

Eldi_Dos - I am keeping the extension ventilated. Could you give me some idea of what fans would be suitable (size, how many) Do you mean fans rather than fan heaters?

We also have a small office that has been screened and plastered. That has been well ventilated., but has no heat, and will be difficult to heat at the moment due to there being no door between it and the garage. We have a Clarke Devil 900 space heater in the garage that the plasterer has suggested could be put on for the day. The propane bottles are at my children's unit. I thought this may be a bit fierce for domestic use, but open to changing my mind 
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,501
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I would think in the situation you describe one or two fans from a hire company, I would hire rather than use domestic fans as you will be having them running 24/7 till you get the moisture level down.
     I had a look at a dehumidifier from a hire firm and the stated extraction rate is 20 liters per day but that would be unlikely to be achieved in your situation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback