Why is it so difficult to unsubscribe from MSE emails?

Options
Firstly, two weeks in a row now I've tried unsubscribing from the weekly MSE Money Tips but the error below pops up on the website. I've tried different browsers, clearing cookies, accepting all cookies etc. etc. and still have the issue. I'm now directing these emails to my spam folder.

Secondly, why should I have to be directed to a webpage and enter my email address to unsubscribe? Most marketing emails these days include a one-click link in their header that unsubscribes you straight away. The link in the MSE email was not easy to find and still requires manual input on the page it directs you to. Not good enough from an organisation that aligns itself with the rights of the consumer.

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Borden said:
    Firstly, two weeks in a row now I've tried unsubscribing from the weekly MSE Money Tips but the error below pops up on the website. I've tried different browsers, clearing cookies, accepting all cookies etc. etc. and still have the issue. I'm now directing these emails to my spam folder.

Secondly, why should I have to be directed to a webpage and enter my email address to unsubscribe? Most marketing emails these days include a one-click link in their header that unsubscribes you straight away. The link in the MSE email was not easy to find and still requires manual input on the page it directs you to. Not good enough from an organisation that aligns itself with the rights of the consumer.

Most emails from companies include a link to unsubscribe. It's normal to have to input your email address to unsubscribe 
  • Borden
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    Borden said:

Most emails from companies include a link to unsubscribe. It's normal to have to input your email address to unsubscribe 

Most I unsubscribe from these days are just a single click and it unsubscribes - no need for further input. MSE should be following that. If they are truly on the side of the consumer they should make it as easy as possible.

Same with their cookies prompt. Currently it's 2 clicks to reject all cookies (and even then it doesn't make it obvious) and just 1 to accept all. As the ICO just ruled, it should be as easy to reject as it is to accept: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-67488305
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback