Stop !!!!!! jammed. And no stop tap in street

The awkward to get to Stop !!!!!! is under the hallway floor boards is jammed solid. It is attached to the original lead piping which goes to copper later on. I don't have any stop tap on the street side! Only house that doesn't! Typical! Any solutions?  

Comments

• There will still be a stopc0ck somewhere in the street but it will likely not be dedicated, strongly advise against turning that off as a bunch of houses will lose their water. What you can do is get a pipe freezing kit assuming you've got access to enough length of pipe. Whilst the pipe is frozen you should have enough time to swap out the seized stopc0ck. If you've got the clearance I'd suggest an isolation lever instead. 
  • If there is room:
    1. Freeze the copper pipe after the stop !!!!!!.
    2. Cur the copper after the freeze head (at least 75 mm after it).
    3. Fit a decent quality lever operated 1/4 turn valve (e.g. a Pegler one).
    4. If you don't make a good job of fitting the lever valve, you will have an uncontrollable leak.  Unless you are really confident, and have the tools and experience, I'd get a plumber to do it.  Pipes with water flowing through them cannot be frozen.  
    5. In theory it could be done with a freeze kit like Screwfix 433FJ (max. 15 mm pipe).  However this has some very poor reviews, and even if it works its only going to give you around 15 minutes to cut the pipe and fit a new valve.  Should be enough, but something always goes wrong.  If you are thinking of doing this I'd recommend hiring and electric pipe freezer.  As long as the power doesn't fail, you've got as long as it needs.  

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Fly-C, why do you need to stop the supply - is it an emergency?
    And where does the mains pipe come up through the floor into the house? If you can, that's where to fit the new full-bore lever ball valve.
    Forget the old stopcock - it shouldn't leak or give any problems.

• Lead piping is hazardous to health, round here the utilities operator will replace free of charge if you dig it up back to the main and take care of filling the hole in afterwards. and you'll get a new stop tap so 2 birds with one stone. probably can get it sited in a more practical position too.  search for lead pipe replacement scheme 
  • Fly-C, why do you need to stop the supply - is it an emergency?
    And where does the mains pipe come up through the floor into the house? If you can, that's where to fit the new full-bore lever ball valve.

No emergency (yet!) but thought it would be sensible to get it sorted. I think the pipe goes through the inside wall into the attic. Would fitting a lever stop to it in the attic be a good or bad idea? As it would leave quite a bit of piping before it gets there!   
  • Usual place for stop tap is somewhere under kitchen sink before cold water tap.
  • ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    Fly-C, why do you need to stop the supply - is it an emergency?

No emergency (yet!) but thought it would be sensible to get it sorted. I think the pipe goes through the inside wall into the attic. Would fitting a lever stop to it in the attic be a good or bad idea? As it would leave quite a bit of piping before it gets there!   
    Ah! Yup, not ideal - and just as awkward to get to :-)
    How does it get to the kitchen cold tap?

Are you up for tackling the old lead pipe as part of the project? If so, how DIY are you?
    If it's too much of a challenge, then you can still save a large amount by, say, digging the trench to the 'street'. You really reckon there's no s/c there? Is that because your neighb's have replaced their old lead pipes?

Perhaps get a recommended local plumber out for a chat. Doesn't need to be a GasSafe, but try and find an 'older' fellow who knows the area and your type of houses, and discuss the project. Ask what you can contribute - say the trench - and take it from there. He should be able to explain the pipe runs inside your house as well. If it's a go, then you'll also need to contact the W/B so they'll be prepared to connect your new pipe and fit a street s/c (and meter if you want). 
    You can do all this whilst still having your current supply running.
    Hmm, given the amount of rain, perhaps put off until next year?!
  • ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    Meanwhile, since you seemingly have no way of externally turning off your supply, just give your seized s/c a gentle kiss, and replace the floorboard.
    Are you 100% sure you don't have a street s/c? 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,255
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Contact your local water company - There will be a phone number on the bill.
    The stopcock is their responsibility, and if there isn't one out in the street, they will (should) fix the internal one free of charge. Would also be worthwhile asking if they will replace the lead pipe at the same time - Again, it should be free of charge from the water main up to the stopcock.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • I think replacing the pipes outside the house would be tricky. Apart from digging up the raised garden and concrete pathway I would have to have my hedge and wall partly removed. As my front garden is about a foot or more above the pavement as you go up about 3 steps into it! There is a V mark on the wall pavement side where my water pipe from the road goes in but no stop tap. I suppose it’s possible it’s sharing with other properties. But all the other houses on both sides have stop tap covers outside their homes. My kitchen sink is fed by a pipe that goes under the floorboards into the bathroom and eventually up into the attic. Whenever I read about the stop !!!!!! being under the sink I assume that is mainly on homes where the kitchen is at the front of the house!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback