We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

HSBC credit card application

Options
Having treated myself to a rather pricey item on a credit card I decided to apply for an HSBC card to do a balance transfer. First issue is that their application is not friendly to anyone without traditional earned income but got over that.
Then a few days later I realised I hadn't received an email or sms confirmation of my application so I gave them a call to check they'd received it. They had, and said it could take a while to process. The guy I spoke to was able find my application and seemed to handle everything to effieciently.  
Three weeks later I do get an sms asking me to get in touch to discuss my application. I call them as requested and it is like speaking with a different company. They don't seem to use any form of reference to track applications so each time you call you have to go through a torturous verification process. A lady this time and we go around and around before I think she understands why I'm calling. She says they need me to upload some document to prove income and will provide a link.

By this time unfortunately I have already had to clear the original credit card by other means to avoid interest but as they had already done a hard credit check I thought I may as well continue my application. It does look a very good offer. 

A week passes so I chase them up. Again it is like the first time they have ever spoken to a customer before but we get there. The upload link does arrive the next day.

I attempt to upload statements from my two accounts. One set uploads okay, the other although also definitely a PDF fails due to the file 
type. The only way I can find to upload them is to screen shot each page to create a different file type and it seems to accept them.

Today I get an email reminding me to upload the documents and a new link so I foolishly decide to call them again. The guy again struggles to understand my reason for calling but does eventually find the application and says he can't see my uploads. He sends me another link and whilst he is on the phone I click it. It clearly confirms my documents have been received (or at least uploaded) but he says I should upload them again. I explain that I can't get it to accept one set of statements and ask if I can email them. Apparently I can't. I'd already deleted the screenshot.
Best he can suggest is that I call telephone banking and make and appointment to go into a branch. He gives me a number. I call and end up speaking to the same (or similar) call centre and we go through the whole process again. To be fair he does attempt to book me a local appointment but his system won't let him. I would have to just pop in.

At this point I actually decide to give up unless I can find an email address to send my documents and a complaint to. I have finally found one that doesn't bounce back and sent the documents they requested in the hope someone can get them in front of the correct team. 

I realise this is little more than a frustrated rant now and I don't even need the card anymore but just wonder if this is usual from HSBC. 

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are all the statement requests related to the lack of "traditionally earned income" i.e. you don't have a job per se but have other income streams? If so, that could well be why it's more complicated. 
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The problem i have found in the past is since they closed most of the branches locally you indeed have to speak to an agent sitting in a call centre and every time you call you end up speaking to a different person,whilst most people used to dread the call from the bank manager/clerk they had their uses.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • nbnbnb
    Options
    Almost certainly why they need more info, and that’s fine, but doesn’t explain the extended delays, system failures (with no alternative options) and complete lack of helpful communications. In the end I went for a loan from AA and it was in my account the next day. HSBC must be losing lots of business. 
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    nbnbnb said:

I realise this is little more than a frustrated rant now and I don't even need the card anymore but just wonder if this is usual from HSBC. 

I have traditional earned income. I applied for an HSBC credit card for the balance transfer offer and although I didn't hear anything for ages, eventually I got the card and everything I needed to access the account in the app. No phone calls or uploads required for my application.

If you don't need it anymore you might as well just abandon it. I abandoned a savings account application recently because it didn't seem to be going anywhere.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nbnbnb said:
    Almost certainly why they need more info, and that’s fine, but doesn’t explain the extended delays, system failures (with no alternative options) and complete lack of helpful communications. In the end I went for a loan from AA and it was in my account the next day. HSBC must be losing lots of business. 
    HSBC are making billions in profit but have been stung before for money laundering and other stuff so probably are being picky
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure