Asda Rewards app no longer supported on older iphones discriminating against the elderly

Comments

• alanfp
    alanfp Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tens of thousands?? It's estimated 95% of adults will have a smart phone by 2025 and there are over 44m adults in the UK so over 2,239,000 people without one. It's about equal if those people have no mobile phone or a non-smart phone. Over 1m don't have a mobile not tens of thousands. 

You must have replied just before I corrected my estimate of those who don't have a phone ;-)

You question my original figure of tens of thousands (which was my original conservative guess (before I looked it up) but my point is thus magnified as there are, as you say, millions in this position.

But you have totally missed my point by posting about phone upgrades and operating systems. The point is that you shouldn't need to have a mobile phone in order to take advantage of reward schemes
  • But unfortunately you do need a smart phone to take advantage of miriad offers, or working smart meters, or access to the internet.  The world changes, it moves on.   Electronic only devices are here to stay. Video recorders are no longer - replaced by streamers.  And there are cheap smart phones,  Do you still have a black & white TV?  Bet you don't :) .

I am pragmatic - I have loyalty plastic cards and yes, I could have nectar on my phone and in the next couple of years I reckon it will be phone or nothing.  I welcome self service tills - cannot see why any shop would want to ditch them.  They give me absolute controll over my shop.

Love Internet banking too - would never, ever go back.

• But you have totally missed my point by posting about phone upgrades and operating systems. The point is that you shouldn't need to have a mobile phone in order to take advantage of reward schemes

This entitlement gets my goat.  Companies like mine invest in apps and reward schemes to get data.  It is not a charity.  There is zero obligation to invest in the margins if they are not profitable.   If you want to play, you must pay.  
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 23 December 2023 at 3:01PM
    Yankee24 said:
    But you have totally missed my point by posting about phone upgrades and operating systems. The point is that you shouldn't need to have a mobile phone in order to take advantage of reward schemes
    What point? This is the first time you've posted in this thread.
    Retailers can make their reward schemes available by whichever means they choose.
    Yankee24 said:
    This entitlement gets my goat.
    What entitlement? For that matter, what goat?
    Yankee24 said:
    Companies like mine invest in apps and reward schemes to get data.  It is not a charity.  There is zero obligation to invest in the margins if they are not profitable.   If you want to play, you must pay.  
    How is any of that relevant to the topic in hand?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    la531983 said:
    Do only elderly people have old phones then?

Sorry but cries of discrimination are absolutely erroneous. Apps constantly have to be updated to ensure they are secure, old phones are not secure.

+1 to this.

I'm getting tired of posters shouting 'discrimination'' about everything

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Basically it boils down to the old story of unto those that have even more shall be given.  If you can't afford an very expensive phone then you can't get the discounts.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,727 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You don’t need a very expensive phone to run the apps.  
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Perhaps people dont realise an expensive iphone is not required, a cheap android smartphone would do it.
  • I buy my (android) mobile phone from ebay.  Usually one or even two generations past.  And about a month or two after a new upgrade has been issued to the market.  Follow the sales, filter by your network/unlocked and you will soon see the going rate.

Get yourself a sim-only deal.  I like giff-gaff  ;)   And away you go. No need for an expensive phone, never mind a contract :o 
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,891 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's not only older people that have "old phones".  My 22 year old daughter still has her iphone 8, I know apps and such still run on it, but at some point apple will discontinue support for it.  It's not like she can't afford a new phone, she's just reluctant to part with it, lol. 
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback