Problem paying credit card from abroad

Hi, British but lived abroad for over a decade. In August RBS closed our account after 47 years and since then I cannot pay my credit card even though I have their Iban number, I have a pound account at my bank but no room on app to put my 16 digit number and also as I have no UK account my bank cant send.
Spoken to cc company a lot I seem to be the only one! They suggested Int money transfer but I am up against a brick wall as one in my own country dont do on line! The rest I cannot contact to speak and their pages seem all about changing currency or they do not respond to my my e mail enquireys. RBS have caused this any advise re what Int transfer company to contact....not West Union tried them. Think wanting to send GBP to UK is throwing them.
  

Comments

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,672
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think the upshot is going to be that they probably dont want you as a customer, and to get a credit card in the country you reside in.
    Unless you know someone in the UK you can send money to and then they pay on your behalf.
  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 820
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you tried Wise? 

    Might help to quote what country you are in, the bank you're with there and who your GBP account is with. 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,298
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Oskana said:
    They suggested Int money transfer but I am up against a brick wall as one in my own country dont do on line! 
      
    Then it will require in an branch payment to the UK. 
  • Tried Wise but they dont get back to me.
  • Oskana said:
    Hi, British but lived abroad for over a decade. In August RBS closed our account after 47 years and since then I cannot pay my credit card even though I have their Iban number, I have a pound account at my bank but no room on app to put my 16 digit number and also as I have no UK account my bank cant send.
    Spoken to cc company a lot I seem to be the only one! They suggested Int money transfer but I am up against a brick wall as one in my own country dont do on line! The rest I cannot contact to speak and their pages seem all about changing currency or they do not respond to my my e mail enquireys. RBS have caused this any advise re what Int transfer company to contact....not West Union tried them. Think wanting to send GBP to UK is throwing them.
      
    A SWIFT payment will have space for a narrative field that would allow you to put the credit card number in and allow the credit to be allocated to your account by the Royal Bank 

    A Wise account would probably be for best as it will give you a UK sort code/account number plus access to UK faster payments / direct debits 
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,035
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Oskana said:
    Tried Wise but they dont get back to me.
    You should be able to set everything up in app or online. I find them very user friendly and they are responsive to messages and e-mails on the rare occasion it's necessary.

    On reading your OP, this was going to be my suggestion, you can probably save a few pence by having an account elsewhere but for any risks against going with a smaller name in this situation, it's not worth it to me and I'm not sure I could mentally justify it being so for you.

    Which country are you resident in? This may give us some assistance in any other suggestions that may be available to you.
    💙💛 💔
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,214
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    are you allowed to have a UK credit card when you live abroad?
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,035
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Olinda99 said:
    are you allowed to have a UK credit card when you live abroad?
    Typically if already held, the bank will not close it.

    There is nothing illegal in holding this anyway, so it would be a contractual matter.
    💙💛 💔
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 853
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Surprised they haven’t closed it already unless it’s so old it’s just going amiss on their records so to speak. Ever since Brexit we’ve seen tons of posts here or bank accounts being closed for people who’ve moved away or no longer in the Uk.

    I’d agree with the above, once paid close it and look for an account in the country you reside in. After a decade I don’t think you need a UK credit card if not living here 
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,603
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2023 at 2:52PM
    Wise account, open a gbp account. Pay it from the gbp account 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards