Renewing virgin media contract

Options
Hi 

It's that time of year to renew the contract with Virgin Media . There have been significant increases which has displeased me .
So ... anyone else who needs to renew their contract - this is what to do .
DO NOT WAIT FOR AN AUTOMATIC RENEW OF CONTRACT !
Take time out to contact the company either by telephone or by chat online through the Virgin Web chat .
Inform the Virgin Media agent that you want to renew your contract - BUT NOT WITH THE SUGGESTED PRICE (There are significant price increases).
State that you are a loyal and existing customer which you want to be rewarded for . State that new customers are paying significantly lower for the same package as you . 
You'll be amazed at how much money you can save ! 
I have just saved around £100 a month - over £1000 a year by 'negotiating' another contract. 
It may take a bit of time, but it will be well worth it!

Please share your experience with Virgin Media # Renewing contract .

Aliska 

Comments

• Peter999_2
    Options
    I had my Aunt and Uncle with Virgin Media for the last few years.   Every 18 months I'd contact them and get their ridiculous prices reduced (they want about £70 for just broadband and phone).     This has worked fine but not this time - I contacted them on what's app as normal and asked to cancel because of the price.   Usually they then put me through to retentions to negotiate.   Not this time though, they just went ahead and cancelled.

The difference this year is that they can now get CityFibre down their street.    I signed them up to Vodafone, £24 a month for exactly the same package but with £75 topcashback.      Virgin have contacted them several times trying to get them to stay - too little, too late.

If this happened before they'd have been a bit screwed as they could only get 30 meg with BT but CityFibre goes up to 1gig.    They had it installed this morning with no problems.

See ya Virgin!
  • randalf72
    Options
    earlier this year my Virgin contract was increased by 14.4%, way above inflation and in the middle of what I thought was a fixed term contract.

I tried negotiating with them to no avail because both Virgin and myself know that there is no option other than Virgin if you want fibre in my area.

Now I'm out of contract I was. doorstepped by a representative of BRSK who was offering 1Gbps broadband, fibre to the premises, at a fixed two year contract of £30/month and free installation.

what's more, if I had a referral code I'd also get a £75 Amazon voucher if they use this code 6CZ7

We'd both get a voucher so I would benefit, don't use it if that offends.

I checked the trustpilot reviews and they were better than Virgins.

So I booked them in to do the install and called Virgin to cancel.

Virgin have gone from absolutely no discount available, to 350Mbps for £40 a month to, wait for it, £28 a month with a free o2 sim thrown in.

It's amazing what they can do when there's some competition.

As it happens, I'm staying with BRSK. they seem a whole lot nicer to deal with
  • GadgetGuru
    Options
    I left Virgin altogether a few months ago. 
    Was paying £70 a month for Broadband (200mb connection), basic TV package, and the landline that was forced upon me and I didn't want. Removing the landline increased the bundle price!
    Every year an increase.
    Every year a long call to Virgin and having the price reduced again. 
    Rinse and repeat. 

After being a Virgin customer for around 14 years, I finally ditched them altogether. 

Switched my Broadband to Community Fibre, which is £25 a month for 1gb! AND I got the first YEAR for free due to a special offer when I joined!
    Home phone was never used - so got rid of. 
    Kids are at the age where they dont watch TV - its all online streaming services these days. 
    The wife and I do not watch TV any longer either. 
    So out with the TV services too!!

As we have no live TV, I cancelled our TV license as well. 
    Its just Netflix, YouTube etc being streamed now.....!
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,992 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't understand why you were paying so much.   There are several guides on here on how to pay less by cancelling and holding out till the last minute before accepting a low offer.  I am paying £29 a month for M125, basic TV and a landline.  
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A237 said:
    ...I have just saved around £100 a month...

You've saved £100/month?

What on earth are you paying for?
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't understand why you were paying so much.   There are several guides on here on how to pay less by cancelling and holding out till the last minute before accepting a low offer.  I am paying £29 a month for M125, basic TV and a landline.  
    A lot of times people sign up for more than they need, or with a promo couple of months really cheap e.g. current Black Friday deal is a discounted price plus 3 months free. How many see the free months, and think they'll drop packages. Sometimes they might add on mobiles, Sky sports etc.

Part of their saving could be removing the add-on bundles like sky sports, realising they don't need the full entertainment package, etc. Looking at promo's now the price difference between a broadband only and one with lots of TV plus phone can be under £1 or maybe just a couple of quid, yet the difference once the 18 months ends will be multiple of £10's.
  • JJG
    JJG Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just say I’m leaving and wait to get to the second level of retentions. Keep saying no until you get down to the same level as new subscribers can get.
  • supersaver101
    Options

I just renewed with Virgin. They made it difficult to negotiate this time by dragging out the online chat convo for several hours, in fact it took me 3 attempts to get the deal I wanted. I found this statement worked for me:

"I'm a long standing customer and it would be a shame to leave but I need to get a good deal this time, just like every other renewal I've done before. I have a good grasp of what’s possible by speaking to other customers that I know."

I really hate the way they penalise existing customers over new, I'd love to leave but their broadband is by far the fastest in my area, they're also the cheapest for TNT sport.

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,180 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was just coming up to the end of my Virgin 1.1Gb contract and I called them to see what they could do on price, but they couldn't come up with anything better.
    I now have three options in my area: Virgin, the providers on BT's network, and the newly implemented CityFibre service.
    I went back to Virgin and asked if they were sure that they couldn't offer anything, because I was going to go to City Fibre; they said no, so I gave notice to cancel at the end of my contracted period.
    I signed up with one of the providers on City Fibre with a fixed price for the duration of the contract and they gave me an installation date within in a few days.
    Next day I got a call from Virgin and they offered me £10 a month less than I'm currently paying (with annual April inflation+3.9% increases), but I told them I've got the replacement service booked, so it's decided.
    I did choose to keep the Virgin line at a lower rate as a standby (I WFH, so like to have an option).
    My City Fibre based install went ahead and is in and working.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback