travel insurance pre existing condition

Hi we have travel insurance with our bank account. my husband has 2 conditions that have been accepted by the bank for years for which we paid an additional premium.  it comes up for renewal at the end of November 23 so I called to renrew as usual. They informed me that they will not now cover these conditions and the flight we booked in March 23 for next February is not covered.  I understood that it was. can anyone help?

Comments

• You would only be insured for an event ( a claim) if the policy is current. If the insurers has chosen not to renew those terms then it would be correct that you are not insured for the trip next year
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 823
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 November 2023 at 11:02AM
    You need to expand on your post @LucySport56_percent

Have the bank refused to renew the insurance or have they indicated they will insure your husband but exclude the pre-existing conditions?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,763
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    edited 20 November 2023 at 12:27PM
    Hi we have travel insurance with our bank account. my husband has 2 conditions that have been accepted by the bank for years for which we paid an additional premium.  it comes up for renewal at the end of November 23 so I called to renrew as usual. They informed me that they will not now cover these conditions and the flight we booked in March 23 for next February is not covered.  I understood that it was. can anyone help?
    Generally anything you have already booked while coverage is in place should still be covered, it is only new holidays that can't be booked with insurance. I'd call and try again, if they say the same follow the complaints procedure. You should have continuity of cover if it is something already booked.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,637
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    if they won't cover him then you are entitled to claim for cancelling the flights.
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,682
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Which sadly is why I ditched annual insurance.  I was caught out as the insurance company wouldn't renew in a cancer diagnosis and I had issues sourcing an alternative.  

Booked but not taken apparently means not covered according to the insurance company
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,763
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    When I needed to renew my bank annual travel insurance I had to declare a new condition, I was told it was covered for holidays already booked and I could pay an extra premium to have the condition covered or choose not to be covered for things related to that condition without the payment. For any holiday already booked I was covered.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,637
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Each insurance company has their own rules.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback