Gas meter not recording - consequences?

alicycling
alicycling Posts: 15
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 20 November 2023 at 1:03PM in Energy
Our smart meter is not recording. We noticed there was an issue a few days ago as the EDF online smart meter reading was simply charging me for the standing charge.

Having looked through the Landis Gyr+ G470 meter, it's evident it's not recording usage. I think there's about 20 days of missing data based on yr online history on EDF's website. We've raised this with EDF yesterday and they say the meter is 'talking to them'. We'll try to convince them today that it's not when we get to communicate with a 'person' as opposed to the ChatBot.

We have a large house but we don't use anywhere near the gas they claim we would when we were on direct debit; we pay for what we use (thanks MSE for that tip!). We're taking screenshots of our history from our Nest since we found the problem to try to gain an accurate bill.

I wondered if anyone else had had this experience, and how they avoided receiving an 'estimated' bill?

Thanks, Alistair

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,144
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 November 2023 at 9:09AM

So just to be clear - you're saying that the meter itself isn't recording gas usage.

And you're not talking about the 'In home Display' gadget or EDF's website.

So what do you see on the small LCD screen on the meter when you tap Button A to scroll through the options?

For example, do you see nothing al all? Or do you eventually see a meter reading (R01?) that hasn't changed for 20 days?

FWIW, I've had a gas meter that stopped sending readings to my in-home display, and to the supplier - but the meter itself continued to record usage. I just had to tap button A to get my readings, and then submit monthly readings to the supplier (via their website), as though I had a non-smart meter.

But I think you're saying something different.

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,271
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    First bit of advice - Download ALL your bills going back as far as possible and store them somewhere safe (multiple copies on different media).
    If the meter isn't communicating with EDF, it will retain usage data going back around 13 months (or so I've been told). That data should be accessible once communication is restored - The problem may be a glitch with the DCC rather than the meter or EDF. Should the battery inside the gas meter be dead (not unheard of), then EDF will have to arrange a replacement. Usage data may still be available, if not, EDF will use an estimated reading.
    Using the historical bills, you should be able to calculate what would be a reasonable estimate of usage, so if EDF's figures seem excessive, you can challenge them.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • eddddy said:

So just to be clear - you're saying that the meter itself isn't recording gas usage.

So what do you see on the small LCD screen on the meter when you tap Button A to scroll through the options?

For example, do you see nothing al all? Or do you eventually see a meter reading (R01?) that hasn't changed for 20 days?

FWIW, I've had a gas meter that stopped sending readings to my in-home display, and to the supplier - but the meter itself continued to record usage. I just had to tap button A to get my readings, and then submit monthly readings to the supplier (via their website), as though I had a non-smart meter.

Same here, except for our meter never managed to connect in the first place. Try using button A and see if you can manually read the meter.
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 900
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    We've moved this to the Energy board
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email [email protected]
  • eddddy said:

Yes - that's correct. The meter is. to recording any increase in cubic metre usage.
  • FreeBear said:
    First bit of advice - Download ALL your bills going back as far as possible and store them somewhere safe (multiple copies on different media).
    If the meter isn't communicating with EDF, it will retain usage data going back around 13 months (or so I've been told). That data should be accessible once communication is restored - The problem may be a glitch with the DCC rather than the meter or EDF. Should the battery inside the gas meter be dead (not unheard of), then EDF will have to arrange a replacement. Usage data may still be available, if not, EDF will use an estimated reading.
    Using the historical bills, you should be able to calculate what would be a reasonable estimate of usage, so if EDF's figures seem excessive, you can challenge them.
    Thank you. They got back today and said they could see there was an issue, but that it should resolve itself. We have taken screenshots of all our usage and will await their comments in a few days' time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback