Shop refusing return of item that they only half delivered

Hi. 

We ordered a wardrobe for my sons room and only 1 of 2 boxes was delivered (left on doorstep - not signed for). 

We advised the company we purchased from that only one box had been received and they advised that they would look into location of box and update. 

After receiving no update for a day or so we chased. Advised they had spoken to courier and it would be out for delivery next day on a priority service. This exact pattern repeated for 4 consecutive days. 

We then requested to return the one box we received for a refund as we clearly weren't getting anywhere... to which they have now responded we are outside of the 14 days we had to request a refund and that if we want to return the wardrobe (half the wardrobe obviously) then we have to pay for the shipping. 

What is our best course of action here? 

Many thanks from a very stressed pair of new parents  😀 

Ps. We have a good email trail support all our attempts to have this sorted. 

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,565
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    How did you pay ?
    How much did it cost ?
  • I would suggest half a wardrobe is not fit for purpose, nor is it as described... as such, assuming this is a UK based company, you have 30 days after receipt to reject the order. 

They may argue (reasonably) that you can't cancel the order until the they have officially failed delivery - you'd need to check their terms and conditions, but if there's nothing specified then the law says they have 30 days and then you can reject for them delivering the wrong quantity of goods. 

This is the section about rejecting the order (please note they should arrange and pay for the collection): https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/17/enacted

This is the section about delivery: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/28/enacted
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback