Large surface bubbles on kitchen cabinet doors

The 13 yo thermofoil (?) surfaces of my kitchen drawers and cabinet doors have started to have large bubbled areas underneath the surface as presumably the glue that was adhering them to the mdf or whatever has had it's day. The cabinets have started to look really scruffy. Can they be repaired 'invisibly' somehow or will I have to get a new kitchen?
«1

Comments

  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,765
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If the body of the cabinets are OK, you could get new doors and drawer fronts. We had a couple of doors and some stick on vinyl to make up a cupboard in our new bathroom and are happy with their quality and the service. https://kitchenandbedroomdoors.co.uk/

    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 31/1/24 £100.32, Chase Interest £6.38, Chase roundup interest £0.07, Chase CB £5.01, Roadkill £1.08, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30
    Total £169.16/£2024  8.35%

    Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,592
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 17 November 2023 at 10:44PM
    Repaired - I don't think so. But it can be easier and cheaper to get new doors than new kitchen.
    Another option is to peel the vinyl and to have the doors painted (professionally).
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

    .withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • grumbler said:
    Repaired - I don't think so. But it can ge easier and cheaper to get new doors than new kitchen.
    Another option is to peel the vinyl and to have the doors painted (professionally).
    Cupboard door paint thumbs up
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,345
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If the doors/drawer fronts were replaced or they and the drawer fronts were painted the frames/surroundings/plinths etc would look shabby so they'd have to be done ie everything bar the worktop would have to be done the same way or it would look a mess. Who would do such work anyway - is it a common practice? - and wouldn't it cost as much as replacement?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,222
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Slinky said:
    If the body of the cabinets are OK, you could get new doors and drawer fronts. We had a couple of doors and some stick on vinyl to make up a cupboard in our new bathroom and are happy with their quality and the service. https://kitchenandbedroomdoors.co.uk/
    Had the door & drawer front from them about six years ago - The vinyl wrap is starting to lift on the edges of some of the doors. If you want a quick makeover fairly cheaply, go for them. If you want something that will last 10-20 years, pay a bit more and go for solid wood.

    Her courage will change the world.

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,765
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    kuepper said:
    If the doors/drawer fronts were replaced or they and the drawer fronts were painted the frames/surroundings/plinths etc would look shabby so they'd have to be done ie everything bar the worktop would have to be done the same way or it would look a mess. Who would do such work anyway - is it a common practice? - and wouldn't it cost as much as replacement?

    Our kitchen was fairly new when we bought the house, but we didn't like the colour of the doors or the worktops. I got Granite Transformations in to quote for replacement doors, they cover the worktop with a new hard surface, new sink, juggling a few cupboards around. The quote came in at £13K. For that I'd want a new kitchen. We decided we'd live with the existing layout, got a new sink and worktop installed for about £2K (expensive sink), and found a chap who spray painted all the doors and cabinetry for us for about another £2K. Looking at it now, you wouldn't know it was originally a different colour.

    I guess you might be able to buy a cheap new kitchen for less, but the existing one was an expensive German kitchen, so it made more sense to work with what we had than rip out and replace with something of lower quality.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 31/1/24 £100.32, Chase Interest £6.38, Chase roundup interest £0.07, Chase CB £5.01, Roadkill £1.08, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30
    Total £169.16/£2024  8.35%

    Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,345
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Slinky said:
    kuepper said:
    If the doors/drawer fronts were replaced or they and the drawer fronts were painted the frames/surroundings/plinths etc would look shabby so they'd have to be done ie everything bar the worktop would have to be done the same way or it would look a mess. Who would do such work anyway - is it a common practice? - and wouldn't it cost as much as replacement?

    Our kitchen was fairly new when we bought the house, but we didn't like the colour of the doors or the worktops. I got Granite Transformations in to quote for replacement doors, they cover the worktop with a new hard surface, new sink, juggling a few cupboards around. The quote came in at £13K. For that I'd want a new kitchen. We decided we'd live with the existing layout, got a new sink and worktop installed for about £2K (expensive sink), and found a chap who spray painted all the doors and cabinetry for us for about another £2K. Looking at it now, you wouldn't know it was originally a different colour.

    I guess you might be able to buy a cheap new kitchen for less, but the existing one was an expensive German kitchen, so it made more sense to work with what we had than rip out and replace with something of lower quality.
    Unfortunately I couldn't just get the doors etc painted because of the bubbles in them and it's just mdf underneath the covering not solid wood. I think I'll just have to sound out some kitchen fitters for advice on alternatives
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    kuepper said:
    Slinky said:
    kuepper said:
    If the doors/drawer fronts were replaced or they and the drawer fronts were painted the frames/surroundings/plinths etc would look shabby so they'd have to be done ie everything bar the worktop would have to be done the same way or it would look a mess. Who would do such work anyway - is it a common practice? - and wouldn't it cost as much as replacement?

    Our kitchen was fairly new when we bought the house, but we didn't like the colour of the doors or the worktops. I got Granite Transformations in to quote for replacement doors, they cover the worktop with a new hard surface, new sink, juggling a few cupboards around. The quote came in at £13K. For that I'd want a new kitchen. We decided we'd live with the existing layout, got a new sink and worktop installed for about £2K (expensive sink), and found a chap who spray painted all the doors and cabinetry for us for about another £2K. Looking at it now, you wouldn't know it was originally a different colour.

    I guess you might be able to buy a cheap new kitchen for less, but the existing one was an expensive German kitchen, so it made more sense to work with what we had than rip out and replace with something of lower quality.
    Unfortunately I couldn't just get the doors etc painted because of the bubbles in them and it's just mdf underneath the covering not solid wood. I think I'll just have to sound out some kitchen fitters for advice on alternatives
    Are you sure the MDF is also bubbling?! That would only be if repeatedly soaked in water.
    More likely it's just the 'foil' laye lifted, so the MDF below - if the foil can be removed cleanly - should be 100% paintable.
    You will then have a 'bespoke, hand-painted kitchen', so could add £10k to your house's value...

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,000
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    kuepper said:
    Slinky said:
    kuepper said:
    If the doors/drawer fronts were replaced or they and the drawer fronts were painted the frames/surroundings/plinths etc would look shabby so they'd have to be done ie everything bar the worktop would have to be done the same way or it would look a mess. Who would do such work anyway - is it a common practice? - and wouldn't it cost as much as replacement?

    Our kitchen was fairly new when we bought the house, but we didn't like the colour of the doors or the worktops. I got Granite Transformations in to quote for replacement doors, they cover the worktop with a new hard surface, new sink, juggling a few cupboards around. The quote came in at £13K. For that I'd want a new kitchen. We decided we'd live with the existing layout, got a new sink and worktop installed for about £2K (expensive sink), and found a chap who spray painted all the doors and cabinetry for us for about another £2K. Looking at it now, you wouldn't know it was originally a different colour.

    I guess you might be able to buy a cheap new kitchen for less, but the existing one was an expensive German kitchen, so it made more sense to work with what we had than rip out and replace with something of lower quality.
    Unfortunately I couldn't just get the doors etc painted because of the bubbles in them and it's just mdf underneath the covering not solid wood. I think I'll just have to sound out some kitchen fitters for advice on alternatives
    Are you sure the MDF is also bubbling?! That would only be if repeatedly soaked in water.
    More likely it's just the 'foil' laye lifted, so the MDF below - if the foil can be removed cleanly - should be 100% paintable.
    You will then have a 'bespoke, hand-painted kitchen', so could add £10k to your house's value...

    Would there not be some glue/sticky residue left on the MDF, after the foil layer was removed? Seems a bit unlikely you would get a nice clean surface for painting. I have never done it so I do not know, but I would kind of assume that is what would happen.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,765
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My friend's husband stripped the vinyl off their kitchen cupboards and they repainted them. I have only seen photos but they are very happy with the results.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 31/1/24 £100.32, Chase Interest £6.38, Chase roundup interest £0.07, Chase CB £5.01, Roadkill £1.08, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30
    Total £169.16/£2024  8.35%

    Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards